add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Snap ring pliers for fan clip?

andyshinn

12 months ago

Anyone know if snap ring pliers work for removing fan shaft clips? I'm trying to remove the clip in the photo here: https://i.imgur.com/fGPwZte.jpg.

I don't have a good way of getting the clip off so I was thinking of picking up some snap ring pliers unless someone knows that they won't work (or if there is a better way to get this ring off).

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Snap ring pliers should do the trick but if your being a bit more careful about it I personally recommend using thread snips, they work amazingly on that sort of thing, anything else I can help you with hit me up.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

If submitter has a harbor freight nearby he can pick up a cheap set of snap ring pliers for around $5. I've pulled many a snap rings without them but they just make life so much easier.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

They have best answer. The only cheater way I know of is sometimes if not to stiff you can stick needle nose pliers in them (if they fit) and run them backwards. A stiff clip that will be difficult to do. You run risk of trashing it as well.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up getting some snap ring pliers with different sized tips. Unfortunately, the smallest sized tips are not small enough and I can't get both ends to fit in the small opening. Still looking for a way to get the ring off without destroying it :(

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm late responding to this, but if you still are struggling go get a cheap file and grind the tips down. It might take some time but if you bought a cheap set they probably aren't hardened much.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up using the pliers in combination with some special tweezers for small parts. I did manage to get the ring off safely. However, the rest of the fan has a bunch of press-fit and melted plastic parts to hold it together. I couldn't modify what I needed to without breaking the fan :(

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube