add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lets Discuss : Funko POP! Figures

What are your opinions of Funko Pop figures?

Do you own any? If so how many? Would you call yourself a collector if you do?

And remember kids, keep the discussions up to PCPP standards, no wacky shenanigans.

-

I recently saw Maxmoefoe's video on his collection room tour ( i know its old but its my first time watching it ) and saw his massive collection of them and got me thinking about the whole funko pops phenomenon.

-

OPINION TIME!!

I think that funko pop figures are just a racketeering scheme to manipulate those of us who like to collect things. "Gotta catch them all" mentality to the GAMERS out there; to buy as many as possible. Think about it, there's a reason why almost all of them are made with the same "style: I personally don't like spending money on things i don't use on a regular basis ( with very few exceptions ) i was that kid at 14 who wasn't poor and still had no posters on my wall. ( not because i didn't want to but because i didn't want to buy any No toys, with the exception of a few Lego sets. So these figures kind of seem unappealing to me, i met a kid in high school who worked a terrible fast food job and spent almost all of his cash on funko pop figures. This kid had spent a whopping $15,000 USD on them figures and found out after high school that the same person had taken loans out of one of those "title loan" places and almost went into debt because they bought rare exclusives on eBay for hundreds if not thousands.

Not to mention most of them are creepy looking.

-

Of course im not tell randos on the internet how to spend their money but i do not like them and i do not understand their appeal. Just like beanie babies i think funko pops are a fad that will die out in the future. But if you do collect them i am not trying to make fun of you or trying to imply anything about you. I just want to know other peoples opinions on this topic.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

Well they're certainly not a "racketeering scheme"...

i met a kid in high school who worked a terrible fast food job and spent almost all of his cash on funko pop figures. This kid had spent a whopping $15,000 USD on them figures and found out after high school that the same person had taken loans out of one of those "title loan" places and almost went into debt because they bought rare exclusives on eBay for hundreds if not thousands.

This person has mental health problems. People do this with tons of stuff though, has nothing to do with Funko exclusively.

Anyways, as you noted, they're just another silly knickknack collectible. I think they're fine. I don't really collect things much but if someone wants to that's their business. They're not "GAMER" exclusive, as others highlighted, they cover a wide range of pop culture (hence the name).

For myself I have a Darth Vader bobblehead as well as three Mass Effect characters (Tali, Garrus, and Grunt). I don't really remember how I got them all.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

I think that funko pops were designed for the sole purpose for being as profitable as possible, and i think its been sucessful, but like how they look i dont think the idea of funko pops were designed with any sort of "passion" or "genuine interest" but people who wanted to make as much as possible. Maybe racketeering scheme isnt the right term but calling these things "just innocent toys" is wrong. But maybe my bais is too strong on this case, which caused me to create this thread, because i wanted different opinions.

This person has mental health problems. People do this with tons of stuff though, has nothing to do with Funko exclusively.

Yeah, i felt bad for him but i couldn't do anything to help him, he was just a "master collector" as he called himself. I agree with the second part of this statement. However i will add that Funko knows how to make easily collectable toys which i do think with certain kinds of people can be a problem.

Anyways, as you noted, they're just another silly knickknack collectible. I think they're fine. I don't really collect things much but if someone wants to that's their business. They're not "GAMER" exclusive, as others highlighted, they cover a wide range of pop culture (hence the name).

I agree, people can do whatever they want with their money regardless others opinions.

For myself I have a Darth Vader bobblehead as well as three Mass Effect characters (Tali, Garrus, and Grunt). I don't really remember how I got them all.

Thats cool,i hope that all of them help make whatever room they are in more personalized and lively.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a few. I mainly just got them because they were characters from video games or movies I enjoyed. I have them on a shelf in my office by my desk. I guess the collective nature of them is similar to people who have tons of games on their steam that they will never get to play. They're just sort of a cool knick knack to have I think.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

That makes sense, it gives your area a bit more personality. I think this is the case with the majority of people who own any pop figures, but there are still those who use them as a retirement plan.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I've never understood collections to that extent. My father in law collects beer memorabilia and I cannot understand it for the life of me. Always talks about this and that being worth this much, etc. But I know his parents were like that as well because we bought their house and had to clean it out. And my wife also has collective tendencies, so I think it's just one of those things people pass down. Some people smoke, others collect lol.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree to some extent, i think its an extreme passion towards something and the ability to vote with their wallet for what properties they like ( in funko pops case ) or what they collect.

so I think it's just one of those things people pass down. Some people smoke, others collect lol.

In some cases, yes but i think in other cases they are habits that they developed due to life experiences.

I do neither btw ( and almost everyone i know smokes )

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

I like them. Mainly the one's from 80's and 90's tv shows and movies I grew up with. I plan on collecting a few from Star Trek TNG or maybe if they came out with a Slash one that could be cool.

Right now though, I only have one. Parzival from Ready Player One, that character seems to capture my love of the 80's quite well.

My wife has a good many of the Harry Potter series.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a few that I’ve randomly gotten over the past couple years. I’m not a fan to be honest.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

I have 1 that i was gifted by a friend, which was Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy one of the better ones in my opinion.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I had to google what those were Lol

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

Really? They are everyone in stores ( at least in the US ) and alot of famous people collect them.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh I knew what they were when I saw them, I just had no idea they what they were called.

I guess people will collect anything. I've always thought those things were kind of dumb Lol

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Between my Wife, Kids, and I we have a small collection but they are all from movies/TV like Star Wars, Star Trek, Voltron both 84 and New, Sailor Moon, Trollhunters, and MLP.

Nothing really gaming focused.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you keep them in their boxes or do you take them out and display them?

Or do your kids play with them?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Mostly out of box.

And the kids can play with theirs if they want although we tell them they are for show.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

'84 Voltron you say? I am going to have to check those out.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

The original was a product of its day.

As the team put it so well when they redid it for Netflix they wanted to create the show they remembered from childhood not the actual show.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

i met a kid in high school who worked a terrible fast food job

What's terrible about a fast food job in highschool.

If anything he's cooler and better off than EVERYONE without any job.

the same person had taken loans out of one of those "title loan" places

So this kid owned a car in his own name worth like 10k to get a title loan on? Seems fishy to me.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a couple of Funko Pop's but I couldn't see myself spending anything close to that for them, lol. I just thought they'd look neat on a shelf (which they do).

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the guns n roses crew, harry potter main characters, Han Solo, Chewbacca, r2d2, and c3po. TBH I really like funko pops but I only buy em if i see one i like and have spare cash, otherwise i get them for my birthday or christmas.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

My girlfriend and I love collecting them! Our collection consists of Power Rangers, WWE, and Marvel figures but we plan on getting ones for other films and series as well (Parks and Recreation, Doctor Who, etc.). For now we have them stacked in boxes above our fireplace that we never use, but eventually I plan on purchasing a couple of IKEA DETOLFs to display next to my DVD and Blu-ray shelves.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

For now we have them stacked in boxes above our fireplace

Like living life on the edge huh?

that we never use,

Like living life on the edge huh? (x2)

Thats nice to hear! Hopefully they are being treated properly! I bet they add character to your living space!

[comment deleted]
  • 9 months ago
  • 5 points

That sounds really ******* stupid. I don't even have a snarky joke for this one.

What sounds stupid?

• 9 months ago
  • 5 points

“That”

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I should have clarified. The idea that someone would drop 15000 on pop figures bewilders me, especially since there's not much you can do with them. They just seem like meaningless souvenirs to throw money at.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube