add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Most optimal upgrade for gaming. CPU VS GPU

Misticalmonk
  • 13 months ago

My current build is:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 Series 3.50 GHz Dual-Core LGA 1151 Processor

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti PH-GTX1050TI-4G 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

RAM: Patriot Signature Line 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-pin DDR4 PC4-17000 2133MHz Memory Module Kit PSD48G2133K

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H LGA1151 Intel Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard

HDD: Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive

PSU: COOLMAX CR-550B 550W ATX

What do you think the most optimal upgrade would be for gaming performance increase?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Misticalmonk/saved/QXB7hM

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

definitely change the cpu. It would probably bottleneck your gpu

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

What would you recommend? Looking to spend less than 200

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

At that point you'd be better off going Ryzen. Maybe a 2600x if you really want the best performance. A 2600 is also a good option

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I really want to stay with my chipset LGA 1151

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

prob a i5 8400

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

He's running a B250 mobo so maybe a 7600 or something like that

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

What sort of games are you playing and at what resolution? Lacking any other info, I'd be inclined to agree that the CPU is the weak point, but that's not a for-sure thing.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing crazy like 4k or VR.. just casual 1920x1080 gaming. I play mostly Apex Legends at the moment and get about 30-45FPS and 60FPS in secluded areas.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm. You can for sure do a bit better with a better CPU, but I still have trouble finding results showing 60+ fps at high / ultra settings and a 1050 Ti even with current CPU's.

Given the price of replacing your CPU and motherboard, I'm going to go against the grain here, and suggest that you sink $150 or so into an RX 580 and see what happens. I see some pretty decent results for an i3-8100 and an RX 580, which isn't wildly faster than what you have (yes, 2 more cores, but not that much faster.) If that doesn't do the job for you, you can replace the CPU / motherboard but you'll have a better GPU to go along with it.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Hm. I'm leaning toward it might just make more sense to ride this one out a little longer and maybe do a new build within the next year. what do you think?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can stand it for now, that's not a bad idea.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube