add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
atrindad
  • 15 months ago

Hi guys,

I've built my desktop start of 2016, but due to the price of the GTX980 at that time, and the big investment I was already doing, also the announcement of GTX1080 in the coming months, I decided to buy the cheaper GTX970 and upgrade it at a later stage. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VxbQbX

Time passed and I never did the upgrade, but I'm now looking at upgrading the graphics card, but afraid to do the same mistake I did.

From my readings, going for the new RTX2080 TI means I will have to buy a new 1440p monitor to take full advantage of it. Also read some concerns about the CPU.

I'm looking for opinions, as I've been away from it since 2016 and don't want to spend money on something I won't take advantage of.

I've been looking at the MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X trio, and possibly Dell S2417DG monitor.

PS. I'm don't feel the need to go to RTX2080 if there is a better lower option (2070,1660) for my current build, I just don't want to go low again, and regret it later.

Thanks

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Your cpu should be fine. Looks like you should be fine to upgrade to a 2080ti

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

2080ti is very $$$. So before you buy...you say "means I will have to buy a new 1440p monitor"...

1. Do you want to move up to 1440p monitor, or do you want to stay at 1080p with high refresh?
  2. What games do you play? How much gaming do you do?

Staying at 1080p is valid choice for many people, and if you stay at 1080p, no need to spend $$$ on 2080ti...in my opinion.

Now...I am no expert...by far...I recently posted asking for advice because I need a new gpu because I just bought an ultrawide monitor (3440x1440) because I wanted the space for productivity. I am only a very light gamer at the moment. I'm still debating on 2060/2070/2080 myself. Then again...I really have no interest in the 2080ti due to price.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't need to move to 1440p monitor, I just read that at 1080p I won't be taking full advantage of the card.

I play regularly, but not many hours a day, mostly shooters, but I play different games, don't usually stick to 1 game.

The price difference for me between 2080 and 2080ti is around 350€, and to be fair with the prices we are talking about doesn't make that big difference. I just don't want to spend on something that I wont be taking advantage of.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Assuming you just want to upgrade every few years i would just reccomend going up to a 2080 as its comparable to a 1080ti and that card is still overkill for 1080p 144hz and should remain very good at that for the next few years as opposed to how your 970 is now comparable to a 1060 and then with the 350 punds you have left maybe use it later on for a cpu upgrade

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't need to upgrade every few years, i prefer to spend a bit more now and have something that will last longer. I suppose that is never very true with PC components, but you know what I mean.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe wait a bit more to make sure RTX isn't just a gimmick and that it'll be supported by more games in the future

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube