add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
catlicorice16
  • 13 months ago

For business use. I have 6 monitor display. Running 5 or more excel spreadsheets simultaneously (some with lots of conditional formatting, updating real time stock prices). Along with several browsers, stock chart applications, etc. All 2d. Will watch videos on computer at times (just basic youtube stuff). NOT used for gaming. I'm trying to keep lag to a minimum. I have an SSD and my GPU (FirePro w600, 2GB) utilization only runs to around 10%, so don't think these are causing any lag)

I currently use the Ryzen 2700,..... would like things moving a little quicker, as I find a split second of lag with little things like reaction time when moving cell in Excel. (i have plenty of RAM... 32 GB and rarely go beyond half of this)

I'm trying to figure out if I'd be better off with i5-9600k (where I'll have much faster single thread, and still 6 cores), or the Ryzen 2700x. Or something else? Want the speed, but don't want to just waste money. {of is it just software likely causing my lag? with the Ryzen 2700 I currently have, my utilization runs up to around 80% on the various CPU cores.......not sure if this means a CPU upgrade won't help?}

Also.....once choosing the CPU... beyond compatibility, is there any metric to check on motherboard that doesn't act as a bottleneck?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

For multi tasking like this Ryzen is much better but I don't think going for the 2700x is going to help.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have a 2700 then a 2700x is not going to help.

For the motherboard it really can't cause anything it just connects the parts.

my utilization runs up to around 80% on the various CPU cores

Is that all cores or what exactly.

What speed is the memory running at?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Well not necessarily. bad motherboards can throttle some cpus with inadequate power delivery. Just make sure the board is a solid one with decent vrms

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Either you buy a motherboard that supports the processor or not. Show 1 instance of that, you cant.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

possibly something like this with a vrm that only looks like a 4 phase vrm. Also this is mostly a concern if you want to overclock

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Gigabyte-GA-A320M-S2H-CF/75348

The 320 chipset is not made for overclocking although this board does allow it.

Really good numbers with the 1700X.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14915845

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

http://tinypic.com/m/kciatl/4 this shows detailed results from CPUID HWMonitor

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately the CPUID photos are illegible (to non-members?) (Were you using hwmonitor or hwinfo? On Ryzen at least, hwinfo64 seems to be much more accurate.)

I'm inclined to agree that if you are seeing lag with a 2700, and it's caused by the CPU, a 2700X isn't going to help much; you probably need more than the 10% or so that you can get out of the upgrade. I'm wonder if you are seeing GPU effects; brief lags won't show up in a GPU utilization graph. I doubt that the 9600K will do the job either, if you're CPU limited; if you are running enough concurrent things to swamp out 8 cores, going to 6 won't help. I can't see the motherboard being the issue either. It may be worth checking temps on your CPU when it's doing this.

If you have access to a different GPU, even something like an RX 560, maybe try it to see if things change. Lacking that, you may be a Threadripper candidate.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Temperatures: Value Min Max TMPIN0 47C 42C 48C / TMPIN1 30C 30C 31C /
TMPIN2 43C 40C 44C /

CPU Utilization Processor 50% 0% 88% / CPU0 59% 0% 93%/ CPU1 18% 0% 90%/ CPU2 60% 0% 90%/ CPU3 25% 0% 89%/ CPU4 43% 0% 85%/ CPU5 39% 0% 87%/ CPU6 64% 0% 92%/ CPU7 28% 0% 87%/ CPU8 64% 0% 87%/ CPU9 31% 0% 90%/ CPU10 43% 0% 89%/ CPU11 45% 0% 85%/ CPU12 50% 0% 84%/ CPU13 34% 0% 85%/ CPU14 62% 0% 95%/ CPU15 20% 0% 93%/

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure what the TMPIN numbers are (HWinfo64 clearly labels Tctrl and Tdie which would be the interesting ones).

It does look like you're keeping things pretty busy. I'm still not 100% convinced that the lag is CPU, although I suppose you could try moving around your spreadsheet when nothing else is going on; if the lag is gone that would suggest CPU. The rather small incremental improvement you'd get from even an i9-9900K would IMO be eaten up by one more Chrome tab or one more background video; if this is a CPU deficiency then what you really want is a bunch more cores, and not slightly faster cores.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

using HWinfo64.... CPU Tctl/Tdie for current / min / max / avg 44.4C, 43.4C, 44.8C, 44.1C

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, that rules out temperature throttling I guess.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

unfortunately, don't have another GPU available to try.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

So your SSD is only at 10% or was that just the video card?

Never seen what your memory speed was AMD loves fast memory.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

video card was 10% utilization. the SSD utlization is at 70% the memory is G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube