add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading current PC for budget gaming PC! Opinions Welcomed!

Uziduzit
  • 13 months ago

Hello all! I want to upgrade my current PC since its about damn time. My current setup is: FX-6300 @ 4.1Ghz cooled by an H100i, 8GB ADATA DDR3 @ 1866Mhz, Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM, EVGA Bronze 750W Supernova B2, and a Sapphire R9 280 vanilla.

I'm not trying to spend more than $650, just enough to run current titles at medium to ultra settings on my 24" Acer on 1080p @ 144hz. I'd rather stick with mATX or mITX due to space constraints. I usually play CS:GO, but my current PC can barely handle that. However, when I want to play games like Wildlands, Tomb Raider, PUBG, Fortnite, Battlefield, etc., Then with Zen 2, I can upgrade the CPU without worrying about the GPU.

I have two possibilities under $650: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RG8b9J OR https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MqFb9J **

I figure I can overclock the 2200G to around 3.9-4.0Ghz, and eventually I can upgrade when the time is ready, and the 1660Ti sets me up GPU-wise. However, with the 2600, I get my foot in the AM4 door with an excellent CPU, and the RX580 8GB can handle my 1080p needs.

Thanks in advance all! One love.

**edit: Thanks to research and the wonderful people who I've spoken to:

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

I wouldn't get a 2200G and spend $60 on a cooler. IMO it makes much more sense to get a 2600 and use the stock cooler, or at most a $25 Cryorig M9a. You may or may not be able to get a 2200G to 3.9 Ghz, that sounds optimistic to me. The 2600 has more cache and two more cores. Since you're going with a discrete video card, the 2200G doesn't have any advantage other than price, and the cooler won't make up for the shortcomings.

The motherboard is a good deal at the price, I guess retailers are starting to dump old X370 inventory. The RX 580 will hit good fps for CS:GO and should at least be able to beat 60 for the hard titles depending on settings. If you really want to "max 1080p" you'll have to spend a lot more.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I've always looked at the 2600 as the main CPU for my next build, but I always thought I could just upgrade to a Ryzen 5/7 model when the money is right.

Regarding the "max 1080p", I won't have that unless I decided to go with the likes of the 1660Ti or 1070. Another equally important issue is that I mainly play CS:GO, which isn't nearly as demanding as the other games. It's the challenge of playing the other titles: e.g. Battlefield, Far Cry 5, Fortnite, GTA:V, PUBG, etc... with great framerates that bothers me.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Well ... if you're thinking in terms of an upgrade, another possibility is to stick with the 2200G (or even the Ryzen 1200, which will easily drive 144 fps in CS:GO if the GPU allows it), drop the cooler, and put the money into a 1660 Ti. The 1200/2200G will struggle with the demanding titles but they should be playable, and then you can later upgrade the CPU when money allows. If you go this way I'd probably opt for the 1200 as being sufficient and least expensive.

(you may however want to move to a B450 motherboard, simply because it's unknown how good the support for Zen 2 will be from the first gen motherboards.)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

The ASRock X370M Pro4 should suffice, right?

(The 2200G is $2 more and newer than the 1200) Choices are 2200G+1660Ti, then upgrade the CPU when the time is right. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/McBMNQ OR https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C92XQZ Go with the 2600+RX580-8GB, then upgrade the GPU when possible.

I'll see if I can find benchmarks with these exact combinations. If you have any other ideas, please let me know. I appreciate the input, good sir. Thank you once again!

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

you could also wait for the new Ryzen 3000 cpus coming out at Computex

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Supposedly, they're going to release them and the x570 socket around June or July.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2200G is newer, but has half the L3 cache thanks to the APU. It’s not clearly better when just using the CPU.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't plan on using just the CPU. That's why I'm debating on the 1660Ti to hold me until Zen 2, or the 2200G+1660Ti combo.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

120 / 140mm aios are really bad value and don't perform good. A $40 air cooler will outperform it.

I would recommend this instead https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8vQmcY and you wont have to upgrade the cpu for some time.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm actually surprised you fit a 2600 with only a small bump in total cost. I should have led out with this: I have an H100i (the older model but not the one with the fan control on the block), and I didn't want to look for the AM4 bracket, or wait for Corsair to send me one. Should I buy a two fans for my H100i cooler? Or go with an air-cooler solution?

The case I have right now is a modified Corsair 500R, but it's just too damn big for my liking. It's heavy, takes up a considerate amount of desk space, and I've always wanted a smaller footprint. Also, I wanted a case that's easy to bring to my friend's pad, occasionally.

As far as the MSI B450M PRO-VDH, I can see the heatsink for the vram/mosfet, but how is it regarding overclocking? Of Course I'll look at reviews on it right now, but any input would help.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Uh use stock cooler, it's enough unless you want to hard overclock. You can do a light overclock on it anyway. If you want to get an aftermarket cooler I'd suggest one of these three https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/hJFPxr,cwPzK8,TnJtt6/, each within their respective price bracket. For reference, the deepcool gammax is comparable to a Hyper 212 evo but a bit better, the Pure Rock is equal to Cryorig H7 and M9a is in the middle.

The B450M Pro VDH has 4 + 2 vrm which is good enough for a good overclock on the 2600.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd want to get 4.0-4.2Ghz with the 2600, yet you've convinced me to do with air-cooling regardless.

Nevertheless, I'd stick with the stock Wraith until I can think of the best setup for my needs, considering I'd want to put the build in a smaller space than my current Corsair 500R gigantico-case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube