add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice on Memory and Storage

newrosser
  • 15 months ago

Could use some advice on memory and storage suggestions for my build. I have most of the components and mostly down to deciding on memory and storage now. I've done a lot of reading but still a little lost on what to get for a lower price range 16GB (2 x 8GB) for my build, any help is greatly appreciated. Also for storage, I'm looking at some sort of SSD drive as my primary likely 250GB or 500GB, I assume M.2 would be the way to go?

Any other advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased For $239.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Purchased For $56.29
Motherboard ASRock - X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $254.74
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $183.98 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Dual Video Card Purchased For $200.00
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C White TG ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $123.03
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $151.70 @ Amazon Canada
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $148.92 @ Vuugo
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1358.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 12:19 EST-0500

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

SATA M.2 SSDs are more of a preference over the standard 2.5" drives, as these don't require cables and hook up onto the mobo with a single screw. NVME M.2 SSDs on the other hand are only available via the M.2 form factor which are only desirable depending on your purpose of use. Most workloads don't benefit from NVME superior speeds.

A better quality, more reliable + quieter PSU (and cheaper): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/WrNypg/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

RAM aesthetics are down to personal choice, these modules are marked at $116. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/FNprxr/gskill-aegis-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-f43000c16d16gisb 3000Mhz 16CL is more than sufficient with AMDs optimised X470 controller/chipset. Basically when accounting for real-world performance differences, the 3200Mhz/3000Mhz @ 16CL is practically the same. If you prefer something a little more attractive from a visual perspective, there are plenty of options available with a price tag way below $184: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=16384002&s=403000,403200&sort=price&page=1&X=0,15273

For storage recommendations - what will the system be used for? (gaming/streaming/editing/rendering - or type of workloads)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Really appreciate all the info, I'll mostly be using it for photo (Lightroom/Photoshop) and video (Adobe Premiere) editing and probably a bit of gaming here and there.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I was looking at that RAM you mentioned first, it's a great price and although there are definitely more aesthetically pleasing options out there I'm mostly looking at functionality and cost to get the overall built price down as I can always upgrade in the future.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Also thanks on the PSU suggestion, after reading the reviews I'm sold. Switched out the SuperNOVA G3 with the one you recommended.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Really appreciate all the info, I'll mostly be using it for photo (Lightroom/Photoshop) and video (Adobe Premiere) editing and probably a bit of gaming here and there.

You will definitely benefit with a larger SSD (500GB/+) : https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/fgZFf7/crucial-mx500-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ct500mx500ssd4 (MX500 and Samsung 860 EVO are top of the line stuff for SATA-interface SSDs)

[OPTIONAL] If you are shifting large bulk images on the regular and fancy something with nippier transfer rates (x4), you can also consider these NVME M.2 SSDs: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/mNx2FT/hp-ex920-512gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-2yy46aaabc or https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Ykbkcf/samsung-960-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v6e500

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll be dealing with large RAW files and very large video files so I think I'll go with that HP drive since I think it will be worth the little bit extra. Then I'll probably pick up a few more SSD's for storage later on since they aren't priced too bad anymore.

Another question about RAM, will I have to worry about compatibility issues at all? I read that Taichi x470 board doesn't have a huge memory QVL. I assume it'll probably fine even if it's not on the list.

I plan to expand on this build eventually with a better GPU, more RAM, more drives etc... down the road but for now just trying to build a pretty decent system to handle what I need for the time being.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

QVL's are not always complete with all tested memory modules/variants. Unlike the previous platform (B350/X370), AMD's come a long with their ZEN+ architecture with better memory optimisations for improved compatibility across the board.

Depending on board/CPU, you may not always land on the specified OC (whether manually configured/XMP). These uncertainties can be a little annoying as the initial reaction would point fingers at not going QVL in the first place (possibly be the correct assumption too in some cases).

...hence if it offers added confidence, QVL would be the less fretting approach and with RAW image memory hungry manipulations/rendering, something worth considering with the added premium.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that makes it clearer for me. It's been a while since I have built a computer and things change so fast with this technology. Appreciate all the help.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

the memory can be down graded to 3000 Mhz and it will be fine, 500 GB is a requirement, especially as a main drive, (i recommend more but that depends on the budget honestly) an M.2 isn't truly needed unless you do cad or video editing things (where the speed effects load times)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info, plan to do some video editing but mostly photo editing and some gaming.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

well if you down grade to 3000mhz, try to get a kit with C15 since it'll be the same effective speed as 3200mhz C16 and usually at a cheaper price

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube