add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Auto-shutdown and CPU temp

winona78

11 months ago

I ran into an issue today with it being the first time playing BFV. Based on the CPU temp of 79C after restart, I am assuming the overtemp caused it to auto-shutdown. The CPU on my PC is a 2700X using the stock cooler (wraith) that came with it being used. Any tips on how to avoid/correct this?

This is by far the most intensive game I have played so far.

Thanks!

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I would try replacing the thermal paste before buying a new cooler.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the thermal compound that comes on these coolers of decent quality?

I'll make a stop at Best Buy to pick up some more paste today. Thanks!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be fine - did you make sure to remove any plastic on the bottom of the cooler before seating it?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, I did.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Is your 2700X overclocked ? If so i advise you to get aftermarket cooler like the Macho rev.B or the Mugen 5 rev.B Cheers

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

It is overclocked to the 4.15Ghz set by the Game Boost in my bios. I'll try setting it back first before looking at a new cooler, but I do appreciate it.

Are there any good programs to visually see the CPU temp in game? I have gotten the GPU, but haven't figured out a good way to see the CPU temps.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

You can try one of these - Thermalright macho rev.B or Scythe mugen 5 rev. B As for cpu temps - HWiNFO

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I'll install one of them and test as I go.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

That game boost feature in your bios increases the voltage to unreasonable levels.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I just wanted to let you know that this was in fact the reason for all the stuttering, crashing, and shutdowns. Disabled this and played BFV for 2 hours and the CPU never got above 65C. Also had no stutters.

I really appreciate the help on this thread, and all the other ones you commented on in regards to these issues.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to overclock, I suggest doing it manually.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I was just looking at the recommended max voltages for this CPU and I wonder if this has been causing multiple issues. I appreciate the input.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I never use the stock cooler with any of my systems, very much recommend getting an after-market cooler!

This one seems to be popular... I honestly cannot really recommend one as all you told us about your setup was the CPU and not knowing what room you have in your case may lead to recommendations that are not suitable.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube