add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please Help to Reduce Cost of Current $3000+ Build

LongOverDue
  • 15 months ago

Hi, perhaps you could help. My sister was approached by the Make a Wish Foundation as my Nephew is suffering from Bone Cancer. She knows I am into computers and have done a few builds. She tells me not to cut corners and come up with a parts list that rates as a Current High End Custom Gaming Build. I explained that I was already currently doing my own such build with a limit of $5000 including a $1200-1500 display. This revelation kind of put things into perspective for her with regards to what a dream gaming computer can cost. We agreed that $2500 au (Australian dollars) would be the limit for the system box. However my sister keeps telling me not to cut corners.

Long story short I have been struggling and thus far keep overshooting the mark. When I explained about Intel leading the way in gaming performance she immediately tells me to keep it an Intel machine. I'm now wondering if AMD is the only way I can succeed in making this High End Build come in under $2500au just for the BOX.

My requirements to keep in mind for the build is that whilst not overclocking - My preference is always to build as if I may. More so because my builds expect full load high usage between 8 to 12 hours a day constantly every week of the year with gaming in ultra settings. To be sure my Nephew may not push the system like so - but it's still how I want this PC to hand the load. That means skimping with cheap power supplies, motherboards and stock coolers will not do. Cheap MBs often don't have the PCI-EX16 well placed for larger Air coolers - but then again I am just assuming - it's actually been quite a while since my last build.

For those whom may be interested in helping me out I will post my current parts list. Each part has been researched and double check for compatibility regarding both fit and conflicts.

MY PARTS LIST: All parts advertised on Umart Website

GRAPHICS - ............................... Galax GeForce GTX 1080 EX OC 8GB ................................................................... $699.0

CPU - Intel Core - ................... i7 8700K Six Core LGA 1151 3.7 GHz ................................................................... $629.0

CPU COOLER - .......................... Noctua NH-D15S Multi Socket ................................................................................ $119

MOTHERBOARD - ................... Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WIFI ATX LGA1151 ..................................................... $315

RAM - .......................... - G.Skill 32GB (4x 8GB) F4-3000C15Q-32GTZR DDR4 3000Mhz Trident Z RGB .... $429

HDD’S - ............ TWO Samsung 970 EVO Series 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD ........................ $299 X 2 ...= ... $598

POWER SUPPLY ............ Corsair HX850i 850W 80PLUS Platinum Full Modular ....................................... $235

CASE ..........................Thermaltake Core X9 Stackable E-ATX Cube Chassis - ……… $225

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Total = $3,249

I am basically $750 over.

I can save 299 by just only using one M.2 drive at 1 TB and explain they can just add another one shortly thereafter. I still need to shave another 500 off. Hmmmm. I already chose the cheapest 1080 and beleive they should stick with a 1080 as they want to go with an Ultra wide monitor which is another story on its own. Initially they chose a cheap 75hz 1080 and whilst I am aiming for a 2k IPS 1200-1500 display in ultrawide - I talked them into a:

LG 34UC79G-B 34"(21:9) CURVED WIDE IPS LED, 2560x1080, 144HZ, 5MS, HDMI, D/PORT, SPKR, F/SYNC, 3YR

WHICH I have just discovered is meant for an AMD system at any rate. LOL ... I think this hole process is wearing me down. There is no way I can build them an Intel system that's going to run a high quality Gsync Display to its fullest. I don't mind sticking with 1080p Ultrawide as it allows me to keep the price of the video card down yet retain the ability to run the games at ultra for a few more years to come. Trying to do that with the cheapest 1080 on a high end 2K display is of course doable ... but not at the rate or intention that I am intending.

Unless of course an AMD system could pull it off and sustain long duration of high end game play with the latest releases and more to come over the next few years????? Again ... this is why I was sticking with a quality 1080P ultra wide display as my intel system to do so in all it's glory at 2K does not fall into a sub 2.5K box.

I know it takes time to make a full list and also ensure they are all compatible. Especially when skimping on parts to shave the budget.

None the less I am kind of stuck and would really appreciate some help. I'm told this request for my nephew involves a few thousand dollars, but I am just not comfortable delivery a price to over 3 grand. I'll present it to her, but figure an AMD build would probably be more fitting for those handing out the cash.

Anyone care to present us with a list of AMD parts that can smash the games under or for 2.5K - Box Only. Keep it Air Cooled with enough space for plenty of ventilation. Especially since I am now looking at AMD.

If on the other hand you think you can do an Intel build ... surprise me. If Intel ... please stick with the i7 8700K - see what I mean. :)

I'll try again later on. Present the Intel one above with an AMD - then that will be my job done.

The thing is ... once you start to skimp ... the quality of build quickly degrades. The case becomes smaller, less efficient, more cheaper plastics and less power all round. BUT ... none the less ... I am over it. Willing to take anyone's recommendations from this point on.

Thanks to anyone that's able to help. All replies are considered helpful!

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Heya,

I've done you the following 8700K based build. I personally think you don't need to spend any more than this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $588.50 @ Newegg Australia
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler $136.00 @ Amazon Australia
Motherboard Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $235.00 @ Austin Computers
Memory *G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $139.70 @ Newegg Australia
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $205.00 @ Umart
Storage *Toshiba - P300 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.00 @ PCCaseGear
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card $769.00 @ Umart
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C White TG ATX Mid Tower Case $149.00 @ PCCaseGear
Power Supply *Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $119.00 @ Austin Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2410.20
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-02 01:11 AEDT+1100

If you did want to spend less, swap to the Ryzen 2600X and a solid B450 board, probably the Pro 4 and that'll save a lot of cash!

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you're too focused on excesses, when those excesses won't have any effect on gaming.

The biggest instance of that is the storage. For gaming you don't need a 1TB M2.2280 NVMe drive, let alone two of them. Get a 500-512GB NVMe (970 EVO or WD Black NVMe) and a 3TB 7200RPM spinning disk from a good company. That should save at least $299 and you'll get more storage overall with no change to gaming performance.

You do not need 32GB RAM for 1440p/144Hz gaming. But if you really want 32GB, get 2 x 16GB rather than 4 x 8GB, will likely be cheaper. If you drop to 16GB it will NOT be an issue for gaming and will save another $215.

You don't need a $315 motherboard. Could get an MSI Z370 Gaming Plus for ~$200 and a separate solid Wifi+BT adapter for <$50. There's another $65.

Finally, RTX 2070 are generally cheaper than 1080 and will outperform them too.

I have no qualms with you including a stellar power supply, as that is the most important part of a computer.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler $99.00 @ PCCaseGear
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $315.00 @ Austin Computers
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $380.60 @ Newegg Australia
Storage HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $247.50 @ Newegg Australia
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card $1199.00 @ Umart
Case Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $239.00 @ Umart
Power Supply Silverstone - Strider Gold S 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.00 @ PCCaseGear
Total $3207.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-02 01:33 AEDT+1100

managed to shrink it by 50AUD. Also upgraded to a 2080

Btw that monitor is freesync which works with AMD gpus not an all AMD system. Nvidia is trying to support this since then their gpus will be able to use adaptive sync on cheaper monitors

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Verify that the LG ultrawide you picked does freesync over DisplayPort. If it does, you're good with nvidia, and a 2070 should drive it just fine. (Actually a 2060 would probably be OK as well.) 8700K based:

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler FSP Group - Windale 6 60 CFM CPU Cooler $73.36 @ Amazon Australia
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $285.00 @ Austin Computers
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $139.70 @ Newegg Australia
Storage HP - EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $114.40 @ Newegg Australia
Storage Samsung - 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $175.00 @ Austin Computers
Storage Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $76.95 @ Shopping Express
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case $149.00 @ BudgetPC
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.70 @ Newegg Australia
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan $29.00 @ PCCaseGear
Total $2539.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-02 02:42 AEDT+1100

Mostly the same build with a 2700X, which will give up a little bit in single core speed but has the two extra cores for (say) streaming, multitasking:

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $462.08 @ Amazon Australia
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - R1 Universal 76 CFM CPU Cooler $109.00 @ PCCaseGear
Motherboard MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $229.00 @ PLE Computers
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $139.70 @ Newegg Australia
Storage HP - EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $114.40 @ Newegg Australia
Storage Samsung - 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $175.00 @ Austin Computers
Storage Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $76.95 @ Shopping Express
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case $149.00 @ BudgetPC
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.70 @ Newegg Australia
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan $29.00 @ PCCaseGear
Total $2392.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-02 02:45 AEDT+1100

I would have put the R1 cooler on the Intel build as well but it was already over. The Windale is pretty decent, if not as quiet as some.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Guys. It was awesome to get up and see you all having put together those builds. TY

It can be really tricky trying to get everything from the same store to save on postage and handling hey. Once you start buying from 4 to 5 different places the price quickly begins to rise. None the less these responses have helped to ground me. Thank you all ever so much. I’ve got lots to think about but at least now a few guides.

QUESTIONS - Does PC Part Picker get it right most of the time with the Power Calculations?
Does it also get it right with Ram and Motherboard Compatibility?
Lastly, does PC Part Picker account for component fitting limitations?

I don’t mind going through all that, however it would be so much easier if in fact PC Part Picker does in fact get it right on all 3 counts?

I’m down with saving money on the Ram by halving the mount. I will just have to double check compatibility with board and make sure it fits whatever cooler. I’m sticking with an SSD Drive. But only one. I’m now convinced to go with an RTX2070. All of you seem to agree with that. The silver Stone SG 750 looks good but I am not happy some of the reviews. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256099 Whatever Power Supply I go with I will check with a dedicated online UPS calcualtor

But all the same … Thanx for that recommendation! I have used Silverstone and respect them fully. I just get worried when dropping below a certain amount when it comes to the power supply. Both in terms of money and power. I was going to go with the Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler however believe there were some concern regarding ram clearance? I know I read some thread on that fact with a few people who got stuck. I am having trouble finding actually specs being revealed when looking at the adverts on this model. It’s not really saying that I can see.

I’ll give this more thought but once again I can see clearly now there is a lot of room to play with to bring this Box Build back down to 2.5k

I do believe it’s a smart move to stick to a display of 2560×1080. I love the fact that I can go an RTX2070, but don’t believe in a 2.5K budget box that it will run 3440×1440 on ultra-settings for years to come. In this regard 1080p is a no brainer for me. That said I do respect the opinions of others. I am just not willing to budge on that. Also, I know my nephew will be blown away not having been spoiled with 2K. Hell – I still thoroughly enjoy high end 1080p gaming.

Yes I did note that I missed the fact that my monitor section was free sync when I mentioned it. Thanks for the confirmation. I found this one for now … a cheap Gsyn. I guess a little light bleeding is a small price to pay and who knows … I might get lucky with one that’s not tooooo bad : )

LG 34UC89G 34inch Curved 21:9 Ultrawide IPS 144HZ with G-SYNC

I'll give making a list of my own one more try and share it later on when I get time.

Thanks again. All awesome replies. I needed the grounding.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPP takes the information from sites and should be right for the most part on compatibility. I know for a fact it is right with the spacing and fitting parts into the case

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thx HydraBT - hearing that from other users puts me at ease. Good to know. TY.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube