add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Does the motherboard really make that much of a difference?

winona78
  • 15 months ago

Hi Guys,

I have been upgrading quite a bit of my PC into a high end gaming computer. I have kept my motherboard the same however as it is running well. Does the motherboard actually have a substantial impact on the rig? Specs are below...

• B350 Tomahawk
  • G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 2x8GB
  • 2700X
  • RTX 2080

I don't really have a problem throwing another $150-200 into it if it has a benefit. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Only if you find a board that has some specs you desperately need.

Other than that, that B350 board will be fine. :)

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

For me it comes down to the features. If a new MB can run higher memory speeds (or bus) and that is going to help you, or has Nvme and your old one does not and you need faster drives, or you are CPU bottlenecked and need a newer chipset....then its time to consider the new MB. If it runs fine and it wont help you then why bother. For me swapping a MB has always been a pain I often build a new system then, as often everything on the old MB is too slow for the new one anyway. For example the next standard for Pcie coming out may really help gamers (I'm not read up on it) so that may be something worth getting a new MB for if you game. Unless your MB has some known fault, for gamers most important is to keep up with the GPU they have.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

You should be fine as long as the BIOS is updated to support the newer processors. If you experience difficulty with getting your RAM to run at higher speed or when you tweak the timings, or with your processor not boosting well enough despite good temps, then you may see some improvement from a new board... but perhaps by then B550 boards will be out and you can choose between the newer boards or the discounted B450 boards. :)

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Guys! I'll throw it on the back burner then.

[comment deleted]
  • 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I read they upgraded VRM spec on the X470 (maybe 450 too?) because newer ryzen may take more power, especially to OC. That is another reason I went with a x470 MB it gives me maximum chance to upgrade the CPU down the road. But if you will rebuild your PC by then you may not care so much.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube