add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Used Parts? Are they worth it?

CaseRaZe

2 months ago

Hey checking all my options and wanted to hear everyone’s experiences with used parts— specifically GPUs. Thanks.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 5 points

Used parts are great. Miners tend to take very good care of their GPUs and often run them under voltage.

• 2 months ago
  • 6 points

This. I honestly don't understand the whole "cards that were used for mining are bad" thing. My 1080 was a former mining card and I have had zero issues with it.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't know if you want to get GPUs used, just because of the whole mining thing, but most other conponents should be fine. As long as they are a trusted seller sith good reviews, the parts should be just fine. Just be smart about what you buy on used marketplaces. Anyways, if you used a site like Ebay, they have a good policy for scams and such, so you can normally get money back on scams.

• 2 months ago
  • 5 points

As long as they are a trusted seller sith

Oh, I don't think so.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Darn it, I rely on autocorrect way to much.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, as long as its not a shady seller, and it wasnt abused, used for mining, or any intenesive thing besides gaming, then sure. Also some people dont know the true value of their tech so you might be paying more or less.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

How are intensive things different than intensive gaming regarding supposed GPU wear?

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Got an LGA 1150 motherboard off eBay about three weeks ago for $39.99. Seller had around 1800 confirmed trades, good feedback, seemed legit. Was indeed legit; currently using said motherboard in my PC, works like a charm.

Have no experience with used GPU's however. Planned to get an RX 480 used, and changed my mind last minute to a 1060 6GB.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I bought multiple used gpu's, all of them but one still work. The one that stopped working correctly was a gtx 980 ti still on warranty. Got a 1070 ti from RMA which is faster :) They are totally worth it if you get a killer deal on them. Still using another 980 ti I bought for $210 2 years ago. You just gotta be smart, pay attention to warranties and condition.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help guys!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

How do you guys feel about refurb parts?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I purchased my MSI 1080 gaming X off of a guy on r/hardwareswap who apparently bought it for a case that wouldn't fit it. Did some research on him, turned out he had 28 confirmed trades and had previously posted on another subreddit about said case and how to make the card fit. He sold it to me for 440$ during the height of the mining craze when the same card was going for 1000+. Came in the original package, works hard and well for the 6 month's I have had it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube