PCPartPicker

• Register

is it possible to run the ps3 operating system on a pc built from this website?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Clockwork97 1 month ago

my best friends ps3 is aging and fixing to die, but he likes his games. (dragon age, heavy rain, and minecraft) i know that these are available on pc but hes stubborn and i love him to bits. but his system is dying and it makes us sad. i was wondering if it were possible to run ps3's os on pc hardware? im thinking about building him a pc for his bday.

Comments Sorted by:

vagabond139 5 Builds 10 points 1 month ago

As in straight up? No. As in a Emulator (not regarding legality)? Yes it is possible but its a awful experience right now. A Emulator is no replacement for a PS3. So I would just buy new a PS3 for him.

PCPPAccountant 8 points 1 month ago

That would be far cheaper than building a PC to play a PS3 emulator too...

Granddy 1 Build 8 points 1 month ago

PS3 emulation are tough to run on even high end hardware so it's not really an ideal thing to be going for right now.

It's just better to get a used ps3 on letgo, offerup, facebook marketplace or cragslist. They're super cheap and should last a while.

akimboo 1 point 1 month ago

Very few games run well on PS3 emulators. Some games will run at low FPS with no audio, some games can only make it to the home screen, some games wont start at all, some games have missing textures. I would just buy a new PS3.

Nullarc77 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

It's cheaper and easier to get another PS3 as others have said.

I hate Gamestop but if you want a return policy they are likely the best place to go for an easy purchase. Personally I would check places like ebay, Letgo, maybe even Craigslist. Those will probably be the cheapest way to one.

Clockwork97 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

well thats dissapointing. on another note, is it possible to upgrade a ps3's storage? or any other compnonents? for example if i wanted to upgrade it to an ssd? or a couple more gigs of ram?

[comment deleted]
AceOfCaydes 6 points 1 month ago

On old consoles they basically never do, its getting ROM's thats the grey area, but some like DOOM are open-source (you're allowed to fiddle with source code). Most 80s-90s games tend to be either legal, or the dev just won't bother because its not worth the trouble. That's my understanding anyway. But on 7th gen consoles, you'll get screwed by copyright.

eesti 2 points 1 month ago

The PS3 is still pretty new

Splapr 1 point 1 month ago

yeah it was only released like 13 years ago