add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Incorrect CPU Temp Readings

winona78

10 months ago

Hi Guys,

I just bought a new motherboard (Asus ROG STRIX X470-F) and my CPU temp readings are all over the board. I can't say if my old B350 Tomahawk had these issues as I have now noticed the CPU fan increasing speeds every 3-5 seconds. If I look at MSI afterburner, it is literally just wave patterns. Sometimes it is a consistent 37C, other times it is about 45C. What is weird though is that within a one second period, it will jump 10-15C, pushing it into the next fan speed range. It runs for 2 seconds and then shows normal temps again. This is paired with a 2700X. I also re-applied thermal paste and it is the same. There is no overclocking done on this rig as well.

I'm only concerned if it really peeks this quickly and it is correct. Any ideas?

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Check your mounting pressure

Also your fan curves should be a lot smoother than that to avoid the ramping speeds

Start at a level you can barely hear and increase the speeds once you hit like 50C

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The mounting pressure should be the same as my old MB as it uses the side connectors to mount the stock cooler that comes with the 2700X. Is it a possibility that this board has a different standard voltage being supplied to the CPU? I had a bit of stuttering off the bat, similar to what I saw on my old MB for a bit. I had to fully remove the standard Game Boost overclock that came with the MSI bios. It has improved since then. Overall, while playing Rocket League it is showing about a 6-10C increase over the last set up.

I also have a new case now with 6 case fans compared to my old one that had 3, so I expected it to be the same or even down. I'll check to see what the CPU fan is set at vs. the standard on the MSI board.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you getting the temp readings from? If you’re reading Tctrl or Tdie, it’s not totally unrealistic to see quick swings under varying load.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

In game it is not as bad and is more consistent. However, at idle (bios or main Windows screen) Afterburner is showing serious jumps in a very short manner.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd use hwinfo64 as that seems to be the most reliable for temp indications. BIOS screens are typically not idle (at least the asrock bios busy-waits the CPU and it tends to sit at 15-20C above true idle temp); however I would expect to see a fairly steady temperature in a BIOS screen.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

That is also what I was using and it was directly the same as the CPU temp info pulled with Afterburner. Both were all jumpy. It appears the only time it is consistent is when it is a higher temp.

I played BFV yesterday to test it out CPU temps. Previously it was a consistent 70-72C and with this new Mobo/set up, it was 74C and didn't move throughout the entire game.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this the stock cooler?

I've never heard of anything quite like this, assuming that there isn't some rogue background process that is maxing all cores for some fraction of a second. I suppose you could pull the cooler again and check for flatness of both cooler and CPU. Maybe the CPU's internal Tdie sensor is flaky?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube