add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help With Understanding UFEI Bios

winona78

10 months ago

I have a 2700X and I just upgraded my motherboard over to the ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F and I am a little bit confused. Coming over from the MSI B350 Tomahawk, it is a lot more in depth than I am used to. The best settings I had with my old motherboard was with no overclock. If I did overclock, I experienced subtle stutters every now and then.

I'm experiencing subtle FPS drops again so I think my CPU has too much voltage running to it. How do I set a specific number that is lower than this bios pre-sets? Also, what is VDDCR CPU Voltage? Mine is auto set to 1.212V, but the CPU voltage is showing up to 1.427V within the bios itself.

Thanks!

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

if your not overclocking i don't get why you need to lower your CPUs voltage?? or are you overclocking your CPU? it's not clear

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm trying to get a more stable CPU voltage. Long story short, I want to lower it to see if it removes some of the micro stutters.

I encountered these same issues with my old motherboard and it was due to the set overclock of "Game Boost" being higher than it should have been, causing it to have random stuttering. Disabling the OC made it run perfect.

I'm just assuming I am experiencing the same issues due to too high of a voltage being supplied to the CPU.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

It won’t

Auto voltages at fully stock are from AMD spec (or at least the motherboard manufacturer should be following spec)

Stuttering happens from unstable overclocks (Rzyen seems to tend to not just outright BSOD like Intel), not from too much voltage.

Now since you have a 2700x, remove any preset overclocking profiles (they are pretty bad with excessive voltage), and download Rzyen Master to enable PBO / XFR2. It’s from AMD, it safe, and is adaptive unlike a preset profile.

If your motherboard (preset or auto with a manual overclock) is pushing 1.427v under load in windows that is degradation territory. Download Hardware Info and find the “CPU Core Voltage (SV12 TFN)”, that is the supplied vcore from the mobo. Greater than 1.38v from a preset or manual overclocking is bad, PBO / XFR2 will set higher voltages for low core loads, but that is safe and I can explain why if you want.

VDDCR CPU is from the motherboard’s logic chip that should be the same voltage as SV12 TFN, but just like VID on Intel it’s generally inaccurate almost always

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

^^i would do what he says, because if your not overclocking that is way too many Volts, could also want to update/reinstall your bios if it auto set that number

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

So I installed the Ryzen Master and set it to the PBO setting. I ran Furmark to test for stuttering and it is incredibly worse, including voltage. For some reason, these are all setting my GHz to 4.1-4.3 when all I want is the standard 3.7GHz as it had no problems.

https://imgur.com/a/5p1SeRx

Any insight?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

A follow up on this. I have figured out how to get the voltage squared away within the Ryzen Master and the GHz is now set to where I want it, which of course took care of the higher than expected CPU temps as well.

What is the reasoning for the standard set up to be pushing these chips so hard?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s via AMD, and they will adaptive the clocks to deal with temperatures

It’s also pretty easy and doesn’t require much effort

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

FurMark is a GPU benchmark, figure out your GPU if it stutters there

If you want the stock clocks, leave everything at stock

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I do appreciate all the responses from you, so thank you. I'm fairly new to any sorts of these overclocking or testing programs. I was aware that FurMark is a GPU tester, but it was one of things that helped me diagnose the previous issues. One of which was the CPU being overclocked using the set Game Boost profile on my old motherboard. It would have massive spikes/jumps 10x worse than what I am seeing right now. I had just assumed that the stutters on the new motherboard would correlate to the old problems.

The CPU seems to be stable with Ryzen Master now. In regards to your comment on GPU stutters, I think that is where I am at now. They are not very noticeable as I have my FPS set to 100. I will get a slight, but noticeable dip, down to 98 or so. This is mainly seen in Rocket League.

I have not done any tweaks or overclocking with Afterburner. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube