add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Spamming Spammers

ZFGeek

6 months ago

Have any of you tried tricking spammers into a fruitless conversation, where they don't get anywhere after hours of digging? I want to at least try it, and I wanted to know if anyone else has experience with this(besides youtube).

EDIT: I'd like to start with email spammers. Also, I have no intent to be a spammer, I just want to give them a hard time.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

I wanted to extend on what Tiny_voices said. As many already know, i have worked tech in many telemarketing offices, (US version). Here is the issue. Some dont care, they just dont, others are trying to feed their kids and pay the electric bill. But i wanted to help people see the reality of it. There is hardcore drug attics that work in them, there is criminals that can't find another job, and there is normal people that just dont have a trade skill so they are doing the best they can to make it in life. You never really know what is going on with that person on the other end. But here is another fact, when you "think" you made that telemarketer mad, you might of, but they will forget about you in about 5 minutes, you will think about them much longer. All this stuff i see online about how to "take care of telemarketers" well honestly it does not matter, most of it is strait up false. You can ask the marketer to be placed on the internal DNC list, but if they tech dont have the system set up correctly, you are going right back in the system. That telemarketer cant do anything but push a dnc button. If you have any questions about how it really works, just post a reply, If you look through my completed builds, 3 of the 4 systems air dialer systems for telemarketing offices (yes i am that guy) i am a tech who builds the dialer systems for them. I have also spent the last 8 years working in and out of telemarketing offices. SO i can tell you how the dialer systems work, the mindset of agents, supervisors and so on.

Damn that is a wall of text.... someone needs to talk to that Floridaboz guy about is horrible grammar

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

I didn't post this thread to harm or insult anyone, I just wanted to trick actual scammers in emails for fun. I have no intention to do anything to telemarketers and anyone similar. I apologize if it came across as such.

• 6 months ago
  • 4 points

You are fine ZFGeek, you did not do anything wrong, and my comment was based on responses in your topic, not anything you wrote. So i seen a chance to help people understand the world that most people dont see. In a way i kind of derailed your topic, so i should be the one to apologize. My comment was to help people understand what really goes on. I would love to do a huge write up on it, and explain.

But i am just not a good writer, so that is why i asked for peoples questions.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, I understand, one of my mom's first jobs was with telemarketing. I kind of know what they have to go through from her.

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

This is some awesome insight into a world most of us know little to nothing about.

Thanks!

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

One of the things i do, instead of getting angry at telemarketers, is i will nicely tell them to talk to their tech, and have them fix the internal DNC in the Dialer. I will also let them know i would be happy to help them resolve it, if the tech does not know how. Sometimes they just think i am being a **** and hang up on me. But i was being honest about helping them because i dont want telemarketers to get yelled at because the tech may not know as much as they should.

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Its always good to offer help and I'm sure at least some people are appreciative. That's awesome man.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I wish i could write more about it, but i am just not that good at writing. But i have the knowledge to answer questions about the topic.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I just say OK and continue to reply with OK every time. I get a ratio of 1 word typed by me to 20 words typed by them.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you recommend getting a separate email account for this, or could I use my current one?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I just use my current one

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I used to do that a few years ago. Was definitely fun before they started to catch on and blocked VoIP calls.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I had a telemarketer from the US call me the other day about enrolling in insurance. They have done this several times in the past but this time they messed up; they forgot to spoof their number. So, I proceeded to call them back repeatedly asking them if they knew they were breaking the law by using unsolicited prerecorded calls, to which they immediately hang up. On the second call they guy gave me his name so every call back from that point I asked to speak to him (and they actually connected me to him). I screwed with him for a while before they blocked my number. Spoofed my number and proceeded to continue doing it for about an hour. Didn't have anything better to do at the time, so felt like a good way to kill an hour. Ended it by reporting them to the FTC.

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Well I don't disagree with what you did.... I can't say I will ever be bored enough to do it. Bravo to you sir.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I like to screw with telemarketers. Just to waste their time.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I used to do this, and then I realized they don't want to be there, and are just working a job they hate like the rest of us to put food on the table. For this reason I am respectful and try not to be a **** to them.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

While I understand and respect that, you'd be surprised how many of them let their true feelings go once they know it's not going to work and just start berating us for being American. Also, they're breaking our laws so I feel no sympathy for them. I don't generally respect criminals. But, like I said, I respect your approach, it's just not one I share.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Many are located in America. What laws are they breaking? Doesn't it seem like a waste of YOUR time to stoop to a criminals level to waste their time?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

They are using prerecorded unsolicited messages, which are against the TCPA.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-tcpa-protection-against-robo-calls-prerecorded-calls.html

Doesn't it seem like a waste of YOUR time to stoop to a criminals level to waste their time?

Didn't have anything better to do at the time, so not really, no.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

It all depends on perspective...

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Email spammers I don't really take any notice to because they get caught 99% of the time by filters so I never actually see them.

I never really understood the whole messing with telemarketers thing. Most of those people are just doing a job, they don't really want to do, to put food on the table for their families. Who am I to be an ******* and try to mess with them when its LESS effort to just hang up or ask to have my name and number taken off their list. I never understood the people who take it upon themselves to try and make others miserable for their own enjoyment. Seems messed up.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Iv'e done some "crazy" stuff with scammers in the past, let's just say if it says "scam likely" and if im bored, someones gonna have a really fun day.

Some guy tried to infect me with malware once to try to get remote acess to my old PC but i wasn't dumb and sandboxed his access through a "special" VM. Surprisingly enough they never contacted me again.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube