add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Right time to build a new rig?

Mrdragonfyr

1 month ago

Sure you get asked this a lot, so I'm sorry to ask.

Have £4500 budget for a new rig. Current righ is 5+ years old. Did have most of it planned and ready to buy + start the build. But 1) Held off till the 2080 ti problems were resolved. 2) Held off to get a new Ryzen 3rd gen cpu. Which as I understand, isn't far away? And 3) To save some more cash.

Why I need to upgrade? - Need to edit 4k video (Adobe premiere pro). Current pc goes nuts when I try. - Want to play the latest games on full spec. Anno 1800, Cyberpunk 2077, etc.

So I'm at a point where I have no idea what to do and need some advice on if now is a good time to go ahead with a build?

Current rig: http://www.dragonfyr.co.uk/pc-spec/

Thanks, Dragonfyr

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 7 points

This is my philosophy:

People are always taking about waiting for the new parts to be released, or for prices to drop, or for something else to happen. In fact if you keep on waiting for 'the right time' you'll probably never build a PC. Unless if the market is super messed up (its not) you should build a new PC if it fits within your personal budget and your current one isn't cutting it anymore. So if your current rig isn't working fine and its financially feasible for you to spend that much on a new PC then I'd say yes, buy it, but otherwise wait until you need it and/or can afford it.

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

My thoughts exactly. There's always another sale, always new hardware right around the corner. If you need an upgrade now and you have the money, buy now.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yep. There's some good points. Think I'm going to just go ahead with the build. Ty

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks for that :)

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Like Memo said:

So if your current rig isn't working fine and its financially feasible for you to spend that much on a new PC then I'd say yes, buy it, but otherwise wait until you need it and/or can afford it.

Looking at your old rig, a new setup with that kind of budget would be a MASSIVE improvement, even if you spend a ton on a top end high refresh 4K monitor or a top end gaming monitor+ quality content creation monitor. Depending on your projects and programs, I'd say look toward either a 2700x (great value, and if you get a good motherboard you can easily swap to next gen ryzen later), 9900k (best gaming CPU and viewport performance, best in some Adobe programs like After Effects), or Threadripper (128GB RAM support, excellent for rendering). 2080 ti is the best consumer GPU right now, and I don't usually recommend SLI (if you use Octane or something you may benefit significantly from more GPUs). You may want to post in the "Create a Parts List for Me" subforum for ideas- just include budget, peripherals needed, and what programs you use.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok. Thank you for that. Think I'm going to go with the 2700x. Will share my build list once I finalize it.

Yea, thanks. I appreciate it

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I have the 2700x and I have no regrets. Does just about anything I throw at it for like 200 less than the I9s. The stock cooler works excellent too, still using it after 4 months with no problems. (and its RGB!)

Upgradeability is a big boon as well.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Do you use any large programs, such as Adobe Premiere, Photoshop? And any cpu intensive games, such as strategy games?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I do not use photoshop or premiere,so I wouldn't know about that. If it means anything, I use autodesk inventor (which is a CAD program using solid models) and it rarely goes above 30% usage even when dealing with large models.

I play men of war assault squad 2 (which is an RTS) and with about 100 rendered AI units on each team+ a few vehicles the usage hovers around 80% for it in task manager. In UEBS I can render 10000 AI units fighting each other and the CPU usage is a round 60% for the game process in task manager. IMO with those types of scenarios your GPU+RAM will be the limiting factor. In MOW I was getting 60 frames most of the time, but in UEBS my MSI 1080 Gaming X was brought to its knees, struggling to stay above 30.

I just threw some quick tests together, so the above results are relative. In the backround I had discord, steam, and chrome (with facebook and youtube (which was playing music) and some other random tabs open. All games tested were played on a 1440p monitor at max settings, and my setup also has a secondary 1080p monitor for what it's worth. At no point did overall CPU usage go above 90%, hovering between 50 and 85% utilization. The CPU is not OC'd, and the stock cooler is still being used.

Temps are pretty high up there, as its resting around 80c max load with the stock cooler. This could quite possibly be explained by XFR though.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

2700x is some pretty sweet value.

Good luck with your build!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yea, it is.

Thanks

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I agree if you need it, get it. If you can wait then you could (idk if it would work) try to run the new GPU until new ryzen/5XX mobo are out but I have not seen exactly when they will be on market and purchasable. Current AM4 mobo are said to be upgradeable anyway so building amd today is not an problem really.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yea, i'm aware that the AM4 boards will take the 3rd gen cpu's. That's helped with my choices.

Just trying to narrow down the motherboard I want to get, then go from there. Think il start another new parts list.

Thanks for replying :)

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I'm trying to budget, but its hard to pick from the mid level boards. Big budget I'd get a crosshair and be done.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube