add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

trying to buy new graphic card to play fortnite (computer newbie)

kaya107

4 months ago

Hello, I want to buy a new graphic card for my son's computer. He plays fortnite on his desktop computer but he said the graphic isn't that good to play the game. He got his computer as a gift and I don't know anything about computer! I need help please.

He has,

CyberPowerPC

CPU AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-core Processor 3.50GHz RAM 8GB Graphic board AMD Radeon R7 240 OS WIndows 10 Home

I went to Best buy and I was recommended AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB but is this enough? He is only 10 and I dont think he needs the ones like pro gaming people have but I just want him to enjoy his game time little more. budget is about $200. Thank you.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe that your son's PC has a 450W power supply and should have one 6+2 PCIE connector from the power supply. If that is the case (you are going to have to verify that), AMD RX 570 would be a good choice. Plenty of power to run Fortnight at near maximum setting and getting 60 FPS.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LCGxFT/asus-radeon-rx-570-4-gb-arez-strix-oc-video-card-arez-strix-rx570-o4g-gaming

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bxM323/sapphire-radeon-rx-570-4gb-pulse-video-card-11266-04-20g

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much! How do I check if it has 450W power and 6 +2pcie connector???

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Open up the back of the PC case. The power supply should be labeled, and that should tell you the wattage, and hopefully the make and model of the power supply. As far as the connector, right now it would not be used in the PC and looks like...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnWOzSP74zSZ3NuVoZYYvjRJyxiYCUxyyuMxlXeKMmA_2hIaPBvw

..now the extra 2 pins may also be attached (meaning it is a 8 pin) but that is okay since the RX 570 takes 8 pins.

If you have any doubts you can take a picture a post a link to it.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

A RX Radeon 570 or 580 will certainly do the trick. You can find a 580 on eBay used in good condition for about $120-$150. Also remind him to try lowering the in game settings to low on everything but view distance. This will take stress off of the gpu and cpu to allow for more performance and FPS!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Certainly the RX 580 is more than enough for Fortnite, I would even say RX 570 would do the trick nicely for even less money.

You might have to hunt for the 6+2 PCIE connector. I will assume the Power Supply will have it bundled up and nestled away. Usually these builds use non modular power supplies which means you have all the cables connected to the unit, even ones you do not need. These companies usually bundle the excess and tuck it away out of sight (well, that is what they should do although I have seen many builds where they let it all out loose).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube