add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Buying Used Parts in 2019 (locally and online)

woxozzPC

1 month ago

Hello! I'm Jack and I've been in the used market for almost two years now. I've come here to inform you about buying used parts in 2019.

I'm going to take the time here to inform you on basically everything you need to know about used computer parts in 2019. I've been using PCPP for years now but only recently decided to make an account. I purchase most of my used parts in the local area and sell most of them on eBay. I also build PC's from used computer parts and sell them to local buyers. Anyway, let's get right on to the important stuff.

-:-: Why should I buy used computer parts? :-:-

One reason: SAVE MONEY

Buying used computer parts can save you HUNDREDS of dollars. For example, I bought a Founder's Edition 1080 TI for $500, to buy new they range $800-$900. The GPU ended up working perfectly, and there were no physical damages to it. And that wasn't pure luck or anything, I see 1080 TI's all over the market as people begin upgrading (in some cases downgrading) to RTX cards. I'd estimate my total savings on all my builds and computer parts to be well over $5,000.

-:-: What parts should I buy used? :-:-

Basic summary:

CPU : good to buy used (ask for a video of it working)

GPU : good to buy used (benchmark PC for high-tier GPU's)

SSD : good to buy used

CASE: good to buy used

MBD : good to buy used (ask for a video of it working)

PSU : just buy one new (do not buy used at all)

HDD: just buy one new (only buy used if on a strict budget)

EXTENDED SUMMARY

There are some parts that are much more reliable to purchase used than others. One rule you need to know is that PSU's are the riskiest to buy used. Not only could you purchase a used non-working PSU, but also you could purchase one that could destroy the rest of your system. I don't purchase used PSU's very often, but I know that in some cases PSU's can, in fact, receive a power surge or "explode" which could destroy the rest of your parts. As for the rest of the parts...

CPU: Honestly one of the safest parts (if not the safest) you can buy used, but always ask for a video of the CPU running! CPU's either work or they don't, there's no in between.

GPU: Buying low-tier GPU's are pretty risky to buy, simply because they're older. I'd recommend bringing a benchmark PC for a simple GPU plugin to make sure it works. Ask the seller if the GPU was ever over-clocked or for mining. If they in fact were used for over-clocking or for mining, back-out of the deal or ask for a much lower price.

SSD: SSD's is as well a very safe part to buy used. Just like the CPU, the SSD has no moving parts and has little to no chance of "half-way working." It's either it works or it doesn't. However, it is pretty hard to ensure that the SSD is up and working. Asking for a video of the part working in some cases can be difficult because the SSD has to have an OS on it. If the SSD does have an OS on it (most likely not because most sellers clean the drive before selling), then you can easily plug it in a benchmark PC.

HDD: I have never bought an HDD used, just because of the number of mechanical parts in an HDD. Hardrives aren't all that expensive to buy new so I always buy them new, as should you. However, if you're on a strict budget, and you need to save a few bucks, then I can't stop you.

MBD: Motherboards are kind of in the middle of should not buy used and should buy used. They are particularly not the easiest parts to put in a benchmark PC. The most you can really do to ensure the motherboard works is ask for a video from the buyer.

CASES: I buy cases used all the time. They are by far the cheapest and most reliable parts of a PC to buy used (obviously). The only thing a case could have wrong with it is one of the USB/audio ports are fried.

-:-: Where should I buy my used computer parts from? :-:-

Facebook Marketplace and eBay are by far the best places (in my opinion) to buy used computer parts.

OfferUp isn't very popular where I live so there's not a large variety of parts. If you live in larger cities like New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. Then use OfferUp, it is by far one of the most secure online shopping (but their customer service kinda sucks).

Craigslist is INFESTED with scammers (due to the anonymity feature). On basically every part I post on there, I am messaged with anywhere from one to ten e-mails of scammers. Most popularly: THE CHECK SCAM. If anyone says they'll pay you by sending you a check, immediately turn them down!!! There is too much of a chance that is a scam. I no longer use Craigslist, I never really got any legitimate buyers.

You can also buy used computer parts on Amazon; however, you don't get as good of deals as you would with eBay or Facebook Marketplace. In some cases, you're purchasing used parts as much as it would cost to buy new.

-:-: What is a benchmark PC? :-:-

A benchmark PC is a semi-incomplete build that is missing the part that you're going to purchase. For example, when buying the GTX 1080 TI, I brought along a PC that had no GPU in it. When I arrived at the meeting location (Starbucks), I plugged in the GPU into my benchmark PC and powered it up to make sure it worked (it worked!). You can also do this with CPU coolers, CPU's, RAM, motherboards (harder to do), SSD's/HDD's.

-:-: How do I know if a seller is ripping me off? :-:-

Ripping off as in selling the used PC part for more than its worth. Here are some common used parts:

(?) meaning never purchased before used

Never bought an RTX card used, there's not many of them on the used market. I've seen a couple on the used market but sellers always price them near the buy-new price. (i.e. used RTX 2060-6GB for $325, but new $350). Other newer cards like the GTX 1600 series are not very common on the used market (for now).

Notice: These are prices I find commonly in the local markets of Columbus, Ohio; Dayton, Ohio; Cincinnati, Ohio; Louisville, Kentucky; Indianapolis, Indiana; Fort Wayne, Indiana; and Chicago, Illinois. I only presume you will find similar prices in your local area. Prices on eBay for used computer parts will end up costing more simply due to eBay fees, shipping costs, and higher levels of demand

GPU's

GTX 1080 TI (used) $500-$600

GTX 1080 (used) $250-$350 (?)

GTX 1070 TI (used) $200-$250

GTX 1070 (used) $150-$250

GTX 1060 6GB (used) $100-$150

GTX 1060 3GB (used) $75-$125

GTX 1050 TI (used) $75-$100

GTX 1050 (used) $50-$75

GTX 980 TI (used) $175-$225

GTX 980 (used) $125-$175 (?)

GTX 970 (used) $70-$100

GTX 960 (used) $50-75 (?)

Other GTX, GT, and older Nvidia cards buy for no more than $50. For reference, I bought a used GT 640 for $15 (a GT 640 has the equivalent performance of Intel Coffee Lake CPU integrated graphics).

RX 580 $100-$150

RX 570 $75-$125

RX 560 $50-$125 (?)

RX 550 $50-$125 (?)

I buy RX 580's the most and I am almost always able to snatch one for no more than $130.

INTEL CPU's

Older i3 generations (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) can range from $10-$60 accordingly (?)

Newer i3 generations (6th, 7th, 8th) can range from $60-$140 accordingly

Older i5 generations (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) can range from $20-$80 accordingly (?)

Newer i5 generations (6th, 7th, 8th, 9th) can range from $80-$170 accordingly

Older i7 generations (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) can range from $20-$90 accordingly (?)

Newer i7 generations (6th, 7th, 8th, 9th) can range from $100-$250 accordingly

Pentiums and Xeons I've never purchased before. Just know that 1-2 core CPU's you should be able to buy for like $5-$20

AMD CPU's

Athlon's: near worthless, except for Quad-core. These can range from $10-$30 A-series: near worthless, except for Quad-core. These can range from $20-$50 FX series: These ranges vary A LOT. From the 4000 series to the 9000 series.

4000 series <$30 9000 series >$80

The 8000 series is by far the most popular. I buy these processors used for around $30-$50

If you need any other help on price estimates or recommendations for used computer parts, I'm more than happy to help.

-:-: What are the best deals to find? :-:-

You will find the best deals on used computer parts in bundles! Especially RAM/CPU/MBD bundles (which are quite common). You can also find case + PSU bundles (like I said, PSU's are risky to buy used) or even like a GPU and SSD bundle. Normally you'll save a lot more money if you buy multiple parts from one buyer.

-:-: Anyone in particular I should buy from? :-:-

If you are buying used computer parts on eBay or Amazon, always look at the seller's profile. See if the seller has some rating and reviews.

If you are buying locally (through FB, CL, or OfferUp) always take a quick look at their profile if you can. Also, I always try to ask why they are selling their part and maybe spark up a conversation about other computer stuff. If they seem like they don't know much about PC parts, that's one sign that the seller isn't 100% reliable.

-:-: How can I be scam free? :-:-

If you buy and sell PC parts as often as I do, it's nearly impossible to not run into a scammer here and there. Just realize that it's much easier to detect a buyer as a scammer than it is a seller. The only way I can suggest to you to keep yourself from being scammed is to ask a lot of questions! Even being me (a legitimate seller), I do not mind having customers bombarding me with questions, in fact, I encourage it! I love helping people out on finding what's right for their build.

-:-: --------------- :-:-

Is there anything I missed? If so, help me out in the comments, I'm stilling learning.

If you have any other questions, I am always available to answer.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

I used to be the type that used guides like this, written by people used to buying used parts.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I don't think I'll ever get used to your puns.

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

This is a fantastic guide for people going into the used market.

However, I don't agree with buying a ssd used as there's a chance of being written excessively over the years as it is the main boot drive for most people and you can get them much cheaper new than 2 years ago.

It's also why buying used hard drives are a bad idea (like you said).

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I second this. Any part in a computer that experiences performance degradation through typical use should not be purchased secondhand unless necessary to meet strict budget requirements.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I definitely agree. I only said they were good to buy used because SSD sales just now started to skyrocket in the last couple of years and the majority on the used market are relatively new. Especially Samsung EVO's and a lot of M.2 drives.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 1 month ago
  • 3 points

This is a pretty good writeup. I've bought and sold a lot of PC parts in the past and I can agree that this guide is pretty accurate. I also recommend checking Hardwareswap on reddit for good deals.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the post, should help someone here.

I buy used for certain things like upgrading old PCs. I bought a C2Q cpu for $16 from Singapore or something, waited 3 weeks, now that old PC is significantly faster. But memory for it was quite cheap new so I bought it new. If I can spend enough less than a better refurb costs its a good deal. But that PC is just for browsing and likely why parts are so cheap. I usually go to ebay for that stuff, though sometimes you can find a deal on refurb/open box products at retailers. I scored a nice router years back for $17 on amazon warehouse, it looked new and worked great for years. It was an older model at the time maybe 50 new but good enough for my use.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

thx this helped me so much!

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Well thats a wall of text.

Bought my 1080 Gaming X lightly used (guy bought it w/o realizing it wouldn't fit in his case, couldn't return because it wasn't broke) for 440$ back when the same card cost around 1000$ (mining craze)

Best build-related choice I have made.

I also bought my Proteus Spectrum certified refurbished. Also worth it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube