add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lets Discuss : Food

We all like food, i think. It fulfills a basic life necessity, it keeps us alive and in some cases help us thrive.

-

What is your diet currently? What foods do you like? and dont like? Have you cut any foods out of your life? Introduced any? Any good meal suggestions? Local foods you'd recommend?

-

What is your diet currently? Mostly what i want, i still eat too much unhealthy foods tbh.

What foods do you like? I like most foods, but Americanized Italian food is my favorite kind of food. Im also a big fan of Philly and Chicago hotdogs. ( not yours New York ) A nice tasty steak with mac n cheese is also good.

And dont like? Pizza and Bacon. Too greasy for me, this has made more people mad than any other of my opinions. Catfish, to much chewy fat and onions, not a big fan of its aftertaste.

Have you cut any foods out of your life? Previously mentioned Pizza or Bacon outside of rare occasions, sweets, Cookies, Brownies and Soon to be donuts. Struggling with soda ( soda is food right? )

Introduced any? Alot of asian dishes, Protein bars and shakes.

Any good meal suggestions? First local food suggestion at least once.

Local foods you'd recommend? My local area really doesnt have a distinct food culture but heres what my family cooks on occasion. Sirloin and 5 cheese ziti, Steamed Broccoli with cheese and bacon bits. Steak, Potato, Guacamole, Sour cream,Cheese and Steak fry wraps.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Current diet: Usually just the typical American foods however I’ve been doing Keto for a month now

Likes: Meats and cheeses, mostly Italian style dishes but those are hard to do on Keto. So far my go to has been like a pastaless version of Italian food, cause of all the carbs.

Dislikes: raw foods, like fish and colorful vegetables, only raw veggies I like are the greens and corn, any others have to be cooked. Also not a fan of Asian dishes but American Chinese food I’ll die for lol

Removed: Carbs, sugar and carbs. Did I mention carbs?

Added: more like modification but basically making healthy versions of everything I like has impressed me

Advice: Whenever possible pay more for whole and organic foods over cheap processed crap, it’s worth the price increase most of the time as processed foods are not good for you in the slightest. You’ll have improved health and feel much better eating right.

Local foods: I live in NY, so my suggestion is Italian foods (pizza is a big one) Irish food (pubs and bars) and definitely if you’re in NYC, just try EVERYTHING. One of the biggest cultural hubs in the world, you’ll find good food for any type of culture you can think of.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

How's keto doing for ya? Ive heard mix reviews about keto but the positive ones say it helps build muscle.

Likes: Meats and cheeses, mostly Italian style dishes but those are hard to do on Keto. So far my go to has been like a pastaless version of Italian food, cause of all the carbs.

Thats gotta be hard, dude i love italian and i could not imagine eating italian food without pasta! Although i should keep my carbs in mind.

Dislikes: raw foods, like fish and colorful vegetables, only raw veggies I like are the greens and corn, any others have to be cooked. Also not a fan of Asian dishes but American Chinese food I’ll die for lol

I like asian dishes way more than their americanized counterparts for some reason.

Advice: Whenever possible pay more for whole and organic foods over cheap processed crap, it’s worth the price increase most of the time as processed foods are not good for you in the slightest. You’ll have improved health and feel much better eating right.

I live near a sprouts and my family buys their fruits and veggies from there.

If i ever go to NYC i will definitely try as much food as possible.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s been good so far, lost some weight but I did get side tracked as I got lazy with buying food and making it lol

Will probably be back on track this week, eventually I’ll get into a long term routine.

Building muscle is a bit harder on Keto as you do have reduced energy, however it is good for weight loss

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

i could not imagine eating italian food without pasta!

Zucchini noodles and riced cauliflower are amazing.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

But, pizza isn't actually Italian. It is an american food. I don't even think it was created by an Italian-American, its fully american food.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, the pizza we know of today is not Italian, although it does have some loose roots in Europe. Any Pizza in the U.S. that you will eat is not Italian, it is almost purely American.

(edit: I'm not sure why I keep capitalizing 'Pizza'.)

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Pizza with Cheese, Basil, Pepperoni, Tomatoes and the dough we commonly associate ( the fluffy white dough you see people throw in the air ) have roots in italy.

No doubt its italian in origin, i mean it was popularized by Italian immigrants ( to the US ) back in the 1800s and 1900s.

Also cannot deny the fact that Pizza has been Americanized over the centuries, its will happen when a food enters a new culture. Of course the Pizza you eat isnt from italy unless it tells you so on the package or on a sign at a restaurant. I had a purely 100% imported pizza once ( found it when my local grocer had a little Italy month a few years back ) it was alright, it had more vegetables than your average American pie but other than that it wasnt too extraordinary, except the price. ( 24 bucks plus tax for a 10in pizza you have to cook yourself )

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

First Pizzeria in US, made by an Italian immigrant, is an Italian restaurant. How is it not Italian?

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Pizza is Italian, it was invented in Naples. First result on Google :P

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Current diet: it varies, but my taste palette is fairly broad, according to my parents

Foods I like: twice baked potatoes, pizza, (BBQ chicken pizza and pepperoni pizza to be more specific), Mexican food like nachos, chimichangas, various types of seafood like sushi, crab cakes, and fish like salmon.

Rather than cutting caffeine out of my diet, I’ve tried my best to consume it in moderation.

Foods I don’t like: berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries, seafood like shrimp. The list foods I don’t like is a bit long and I don’t feel like mentioning all of it otherwise this just turns into a massive wall of text.

Foods I’ve introduced: foods with high amounts of protein to build up muscle mass. I have very little muscle mass due to being born skinny due to genetics.

I don’t have any good food suggestions. I’m out of ideas.

California has a little bit of everything in terms of food.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Current diet: it varies, but my taste palette is fairly broad, according to my parents

its always cool to try new foods, thats what i do when i head into the city, but alot of the times i tempted by the fast food joints.

Foods I like: twice baked potatoes, pizza, (BBQ chicken pizza and pepperoni pizza to be more specific), Mexican food like nachos, chimichangas, various types of seafood like sushi, crab cakes, and fish like salmon.

Sounds like the kind of food i eat whenever i hit the LA area.

Rather than cutting caffeine out of my diet, I’ve tried my best to consume it in moderation.

When i was 7 i drank 7 cans of soda a day, now i only drink 1 or 2 ( 2 if i had fast food that day ). When i move out on my own im gonna try cutting it mostly out from my life. My family drinks more soda than water and im the only exception as of now.

Foods I don’t like: berries

That's it we can never be friends, your opinion is objectively wrong and im gonna rant on twitter about how much i am better than everyone who disagrees

Why no love for berries?

oods I’ve introduced: foods with high amounts of protein to build up muscle mass. I have very little muscle mass due to being born skinny due to genetics.

What kinds of foods? I began actively consuming more protein in my life about a year or so ago.

California has a little bit of everything in terms of food.

Agreed but California has good Mexican and Asian food but i have yet to find a good Italian place, if you have any suggestions for good italian places especially in the LA,Inland Empire or SD areas let me know.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Twice baked potatoes, yes! Do you like a good catfish too? Mmmm, can it be good.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Never tried catfish

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Oh yay food my favorite topic =D

Current Diet: Mostly vegan (you could call me a Flexitarian). Back to calorie counting as of the beginning of March using MyFitnessPal. Keeping an eye on macros and trying to adjust for them here and there, but not dramatically letting them drive me. Try to cook at home a lot, it's the best.

Likes: Sushi. Pad Thai. Pad See Ew. Seitan. Mushrooms. Nutritional yeast. Burgers. Dark chocolate. Pancakes. Bacon. Cake, and baked goods in general lol (Really, I like most foods so I'm just listing some favorites). Products from Impossible Foods, JUST, Field Roast, and Beyond Meat. Sparkling water. Espresso.

Dislikes: Blue cheese, goat cheese. I don't understand why goat cheese became so popular in the last few years, it's ******* disgusting. Olives. Baby corn. Mint sauce on meat. I actually do like pastas and Italian food, but, I'll never go out of my way for it. I kind of grew up eating lots of that sort of thing so now I find it very boring; I think I've gone to one Italian restaurant in the last five years.

Cut out foods: Most meat and animal products. Soda. Recently stopped buying pepperjack cheese which I used to include in my lunchbox pretty much all the time.

Introduced foods: Recently been trying more vegan cheeses, which are still not as far along imo and are hit or miss. Trying to eat more protein.

Meal suggestions: the Impossible Burger. Go try it. It's great; it's not about being "wow this is mind-blowing, the best burger ever!" It's about being "hey that's a good burger." That's it. It's just a real good burger.

I have tons of vegan recipes at home too that I'd suggest, if you're down for some cooking.

Local foods: I live in the DC area. If you wanna try some good vegan food, check out HipCityVeg which is right off the Chinatown metro stop. They make an amazing philly cheese steak. Also check out NuVegan Cafe which is up in the Columbia Heights area and is like vegan soul food. Sweetgreen is a counter-service chain that is from here (it's spread up the coast to NYC) and has good vegan options as well as meat options. They make salad bowls but they're chock full of stuff so it's not just like, some leaves with dressing lol.

For non-vegan centric fare, the Farmers Restaurant Group family of restaurants are fantastic imo and all over this area. There's Founding Farmers in DC near George Washington University (there's another one of these out in Reston, VA as well), there's Farmers Fishers and Bakers on the Georgetown waterfront, and there's Farmers and Distillers over by Chinatown.

Sushi Capitol is an amazing sushi spot right off Capitol Hill. This isn't the kind of place you go to if you're looking for "cream cheese wrapped in tuna and rice, deep fried, slathered in spicy mayo" style sushi, lol. This is where you go and order the omakase and just enjoy the ride. It's a pretty tiny spot too so it's something you have to plan around, don't expect to just show up (at least not for dinner).

If you DO want that Murica-style sushi though, my favorite spot is Zento which is near Old Town Alexandria. Sushi Rock up in Courthouse (neighborhood in Arlington) is also really good.

Stomping Ground in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria is absolutely fantastic. They're known for their large buttermilk biscuits. So good. The biscuits and gravy is my go-to order.

Although I've never gone in, Ben's Chili Bowl is an iconic restaurant from the area and I'm a little ashamed I haven't been.

If you want the best coffee, Java Shack or Commonwealth Joe (both in Arlington; Clarendon and Pentagon City respectively) are the places.

Edit I forgot China Chilcano in DC near Chinatown, very good fusion restaurant representing the influence of Chinese cuisine in South America.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

How is vegan food? Is it hard to find it at your joshmo grocer? I have 1 organic grocer in my area ( i sometimes buy fruits and veggies from there ) but the prices are very high and my income inst high enough to shop there on a regular basis, even with my strict budgeting. The impossible burger and others like it seem tempting, if i ever drive by my nearest city i might try it.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Vegan food is like regular food: there's good stuff and bad stuff! Expensive stuff and cheap stuff. There's more processed, ready-to-eat stuff, and then there's cooking for yourself. It's becoming very easy to find at least the low quality processed stuff. Even Walmart carries Gardein, which is not bad at all.

Prices are definitely higher for the quantity you get with vegan products (economy of scale in action), so that is a hurdle. Cooking for yourself is always the healthier option anyways, and tempeh and tofu are super cheap and available virtually everywhere. Alternative milks are cheap and readily available everywhere.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

People think of DC and they probably think of a bunch of greasy politicians walking around tailed by a herd of lobbyists.

That's probably accurate for the Capitol Hill neighborhood during the work week lol, but DC actually has a lot of great art/museums/monuments to see, and has a baller food scene. You can find food from virtually the entire world here and it's good quality.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Seafood diet.

I see food. I eat it

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah this one plays better spoken lol.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Current diet: Don't really have one. Tried to cut down on fatty drinks but it's an uphill battle.

Likes: Anything from the grill, pizza, strawberries, and chips/queso

Dislikes: Most seafood (except for shrimp), Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes

Removed foods: Salmon (After an unfortunate incident on vacation)

Added foods: Not really much; but I've gotten into kolaches more

Meal suggestions: A good, grilled meat (like steak or chicken) with some good vegetables

Local recommendations: I am in the barbecue and legit Mexican food state; so I'd try that (lots of options on both sides)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Tried to cut down on fatty drinks but it's an uphill battle.

sympathise with you on the drinks man i still drink about 2 cans of soda a day, its hard to find good tasting alternatives and iv'e tried alot. Still drink more water than anything else which i feel good about.

Removed foods: Salmon (After an unfortunate incident on vacation)

I'd like to know more about this incident.

Never tried kolaches , but it sounds good. Also i think you'd like the steak wrap i mentioned which also can have bell peppers, pico de gallo, and lettuce.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Essentially, I was in Turks and Caicos for vacation with my family, and one of the restaurants at our resort was a seafood restaurant. Didn't know what else to get so I got grilled salmon.

Woke up at 1 am with a lump in my throat, went to the bathroom to spit it out and threw up. Went back to bed freezing cold (not sure if that was related; it was pretty cold in our hotel room). Woke up the next morning just fine.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Current Diet: I eat tons of Chicken and Rice. Cutting down on sugary drinks i.e. soda.

Likes: Meat, Seafood, Waffles, Pancakes, Fiery Hot Cheetos, Chocolate, Sushi.

Dislikes: All vegetables except pepper, All fruits except apples (as long as they are eaten right away or else they get chewy), Very spicy foods.

Meal Suggestions: Sushi is the only food I know that tastes amazing and is very healthy (it's expensive tho)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Dislikes: All vegetables except pepper, All fruits except apples (as long as they are eaten right away or else they get chewy), Very spicy foods.

You sound like me when i was a wee young lad, the processed foods would always tempt my young innocent mind more than any fruit or veggie could ever.

Meal Suggestions: Sushi is the only food I know that tastes amazing and is very healthy

Depends on the sushi, deep fried Sushi covered in Teriyaki sauce is a thing in California and its really unhealthy.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Current Diet: Eat appropriate quantities. Limit sodium. Exercise daily.

Likes: Almost anything. All meats. All veggies. Asian foods. Italian foods. Indian foods. Thai foods/curries. Sushi. Most seafood.

Dislikes: Cottage cheese.

Cut out foods: Pork for ethical reasons. Pigs are smart and we shouldn't eat them.

Introduced foods: Everything. I'll try anything.

Meal suggestions: Anything new and exciting. Make a change.

Local foods: I live in DC so there is a multitude of options for every type of cuisine. Lots of incredible sushi and Asian food.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Current diet: Whatever is cheap and fits in my mouth.

Foods you like: Tatertot Casserole (hotdish) Pepperoni Pizza, Kielbasa with potatoes, onions, and peppers. Too many to list, but this is probably my top 3.

Foods you don't like: I'm pretty picky, unfortunately, so there is a lot that can go here. If it has a lot of fat, gristle, or is slimy, I probably don't like it.

Cut out any foods: Nope. I don't put much stock into eating healthy. I probably should. But, my arteries have been bad so they need some punishment.

Introduced any: I've been trying to add more foods to my diet a lot. Korean BBQ turned out to be pretty amazing.

Any good meal suggestions?: Kielbasa, potatoes, onions, peppers, Cajun seasoning. It's delicious.

Local foods you'd recommend?: Kansas City strip steak, KC style. It's pretty damn phenomenal.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Also, I'm hungry.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

So you are saying that tragiktimes is hungry? I think I like where this is going.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Diet: None, really. I am trying to eat less and in moderation, so I guess... KINDA in a diet...but I won't force myself to stop eating.

Likes: Everything, really. There may be undiscovered foods for me, but I like everything I've tried so far.

Dislikes: Onions and avocados. However, it is a slight dislike, not a great one. I am a lazy boi, and if I find it in my food, I'm too lazy to take it out, so I just eat it.

Removed foods: None. I WAS told to avoid anything greasy, after going to the hospital over an emergency, but it wasn't anything really "mandated", just suggested. I'm doing okay so far.

Added foods: Nope.

Meal suggestion: Try steamed salmon with leeks, carrots, spices (of your choosing), and potatoes. Bone appetite! (I know I spelled it wrong.)

Recommendations: I'm in Houston, Texas, in a certain location where restaurants are either crappy or expensive. I say just try out a lesser-known restaurant, one that you've possibly never even heard of. I can guarantee you may find some hidden gems.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Try steamed salmon with leeks, carrots, spices (of your choosing), and potatoes. Bone appetite!

Sounds like a meal popular in the upper midwest USA, i dont eat too much sea food but i might try it in the future.

I say just try out a lesser-known restaurant, one that you've possibly never even heard of. I can guarantee you may find some hidden gems.

I do when i can afford it!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube