add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lets Discuss : Jobs and Careers

We all ( well most of us ) will have at least 1 job or career in their lives, some jobs are fun, others are easy some are hard, some are boring some are fair others not so much. Some of us are working careers, where someone works at 1 type of job their whole or most of their life and its what the career person knows what to do.

-

Are you currently working a paid job? Do you like working there ( the hours, pay, work conditions )? Do you have any passion for what you do? If not why do you continue to work there? ( lets see how long it takes before someone replies with just money ) How long have you been working at your current job? Have you had any jobs in the past? If so were they better or worse than what you are currently working? Do you currently work in a career? ( a job you do for long periods of time and will continue to work at that job )

-

Are you currently working a paid job? Yeah. Wouldn't do it for free.

-

Do you like working there? Nah. Working 60+ hours a week 7 days a week doing something im not a fan of really drains you.

-

Do you have any passion for what you do? Nah. It's mostly grunt work and im not the biggest fan of grunt work.

-

If not why do you continue to work there? As a young person who didn't come from the wealthiest of backgrounds i would've have to have taken on student loan debt even for local community colleges again due to my lack of a wealthy background.

-

How long have you been working at your current job? About a year.

-

Have you had any jobs in the past? Nope. I started my current one basically right out of high school.

-

If so were they better or worse than what you are currently working? Does not apply

-

Do you currently work in a career? Definitely don't want to continue what im doing but in the mean time im gonna stick it out because im gonna need some cash for my near future plans. The pay is decent especially for someone as young as i am and does not require an expensive degree.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

Are you currently working a paid job?

Effectively, yes. For work as a research assistant in computational physics and a teaching assistant, I am granted a small (but sufficient) stipend and tuition waiver.

Do you like working there ( the hours, pay, work conditions )?

Generally yes. Occasionally I'll be working as a TA with a professor that assigns me to a rather uncomfortable position as the one to handle the fallout from undergraduates complaining about grades, but usually things are fine. (With the exception of actual mistakes in grading, it's not my place to change anything, but I'd still end up being the bearer of bad news.)

Do you have any passion for what you do? If not why do you continue to work there? ( lets see how long it takes before someone replies with just money )

Yes.

How long have you been working at your current job?

I'm at my fourth year now.

Have you had any jobs in the past? If so were they better or worse than what you are currently working?

Yes, I held a work-study position as an undergraduate, setting up demonstrations for physics lectures. Sometimes I got paid for doing nothing other than being available/on-call. Other times were more hectic, with multiple coinciding classes requesting very involved demos. It's not really comparable to what I do now, since that was a part-time job. What I have now is a lifestyle.

Do you currently work in a career? ( a job you do for long periods of time and will continue to work at that job )

As much as I enjoy what I'm doing, I don't want to be here forever. However, nature doesn't care about the timetable of your PhD. The next-step would be a postdoc (most such positions are competitive in their own right). Hopefully I won't get trapped as a career postdoc either, but tenure-track faculty positions at big-name universities are incredibly competitive. (That's the dream.)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, Man, Good for you.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like you got lots of ambition, i like that kind of attitude in people. I have always looked into similar fields of work when i was in high school but like i have stated in the past, college is expensive so i had to turn to temporary alternatives. I do have to ask is computational physics more of a pen and paper/typing on a screen kind of job or more of a hands on kind of job?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I do have to ask is computational physics more of a pen and paper/typing on a screen kind of job or more of a hands on kind of job?

Computational physics isn't really for traditional pen and paper theorists. Many areas of physics have beautiful theories that, unfortunately, do not appear to have easy analytic solutions when applied to nontrivial systems found in nature, so actually making use of existing theories requires additional work that can often be done with the help of computers.

But yes, most work is done on the computer. If you were asking "hands-on," beyond that, you'd probably be looking for an experimental group.

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

Yes. I cannot afford to be without an income. The job is a software engineer (which I like) for a trading company (that's where the challenge comes from)

Do you like working there?

No. It's a job. It gets the bills paid. I don't know anything about trading. And to be honest, it doesn't really interest me.

Do you have any passion for what you do?

Creating software? Yes. Understanding how trading works, no.

If not why do you continue to work there?

It doesn't pay terribly. It's hard to find a good job that you love, you can get a career there, you don't have to travel hours to get to your job and it pays well. Oh, did I mention that it should be compatible with family life?

Almost a year.

Have you had any jobs in the past?

Software engineering at various companies (across 3 different countries) since 2005.

If so were they better or worse than what you are currently working?

I loved being a game developer. It was fun.

I liked working for healthcare solutions. It felt like what I do matters. Knowing what you do saves the life of people makes you feel good about yourself when you go to bed at night. :)

Do you currently work in a career?

Trading? Nah. Based on the CEO's own keynotes, we make the big bucks when someone else trading (not our company) messes up something.

We don't really make anything. We just exploit the market. Pray on opportunities and the mistakes of others. (Now compare that with saving lives or making fun games.)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey man not everyone can afford to follow their dreams but everyone can still achieve goals regardless of income. Im lucky enough because i only pay some of the bills ( rent and groceries for the most part ) so i cant relate on that front however at least you partially enjoy your job.

What countries? Sounds like you're quite well traveled.

We don't really make anything. We just exploit the market. Pray on opportunities and the mistakes of others. (Now compare that with saving lives or making fun games.)

Sounds like a cold blooded career, got to feel bad for ya.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I was born and raised in Hungary, Europe. Then lived for 4 years in the UK. Now living in Australia.

One problem with travelling is that you don't spend "enough time" anywhere to establish a good career. Most of the time people can advance on the career ladder after they've spent enough time with a company. That's unfortunately not me.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep, I'm an accountant. I like it some days more than others. Some days I wonder why I became one, but it is what it is. The hours can be long at times, particularly around tax season, those are the times you will wonder why you became an accountant. Other times the hours are your standard 40 hour week and you are not stressed at all. I wouldn't say I have any passion for it really, but it does tend to pay well and I have a house and bills to pay, plus I don't want to go back to school. I've found that any job that people don't want to do generally pays well, so you have to deal with what the job gives you. In this world, I feel like you're not paid on how hard you work really, just how easily you can be replaced. I'd really just like to save up some money and start my own business some day, but it won't be any time soon. Trying to learn as much as I can from my job now to benefit my company down the road. I know how I would do it, how I would run it, just a matter of getting some money to do it. Dream job I'd someday like to do: run a go kart track. I'd like to make it somewhere people come from far away to visit, something unique like world famous tracks redone in scale versions with go karts. Some day...

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

40 hour week and you are not stressed at all

I relate because i worked 40s for 2 months with some overtime here and there but that was 10 months ago and i have essentially worked almost every day since. Usually more than 8 hours a day as well.

I also thought about some sort of accounting job, because iv'e always wanted to learn how the US tax code works and how certain taxes can either help or hurt the overall economy.

I've found that any job that people don't want to do generally pays well

Supply and demand, i hear from my bosses all the time " there aren't many kids that do our kind of work anymore " you know the arguments the "muh mellinial entitlement and their video games" even though im not a millenial i still hear it all the time never directed towards me directly.

I feel like you're not paid on how hard you work really, just how easily you can be replaced.

I disagree, the big boss pencil pushers where i work make the most and i know their jobs can be easily replaced with AI and cheap labor. Not to hate on my bosses, most of them are cool.

I'd really just like to save up some money and start my own business some day

+1 for that dream, seems like many people either dont want to start businesses or dont have the drive to go through, dont fall into that trap! I have a dream! That one day i will be a real estate investor. Im not too far off from having the money for my first property and renovations.

Dream job I'd someday like to do: run a go kart track. I'd like to make it somewhere people come from far away to visit, something unique like world famous tracks redone in scale versions with go karts. Some day...

If you ever go through come back and tell me because i love go karts. Maybe something you could do is invent a way for go karts to up and down large hills in a stable fashion, maybe throw in some water driving and you got yourself a crazy go kart track. One people would pay to come from all over the world.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

I currently cut grass in the summer for a couple of people and my church. I cut for 4 yards, and the church. I get 45 to 55 dollars a week, and I get 8 dollars and hour from the church.

Yes, and a pretty good paying one for being 15.

Well, it depends on the yard. For the most part, yes.

Its kinda hard to have a passion for cutting grass, so not really.

Its the only job that I can do that is extremely flexible in the sense that I can cut the yards I need to whenever I want(within reason).

This answer is a little difficult. I started cutting grass for my parents about 3 years ago or so. At that time, I had wanted to upgrade my Nintendo DS to a 3DS, but my parents said to earn the money to upgrade. I also started cutting for my grandparents. I've slowly attained more yards to cut, and still do it, so I guess I've been doing it for 3 years.

No. I am only 15 like I said, so...not much time to have other jobs.

Not really.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

How long did you spend typing this? , and I am a resident for being anesthesiologist at temple university , philly.

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

How long did you spend typing this? , and I am a resident for being anesthesiologist at temple university , philly.

Do you think it's so long that people will be put to sleep by reading it?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

No, 'Bout you

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

10 minutes or so. Why do you ask? Also nice career path to be going down, hope the best for you.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup

Do you like working there ( the hours, pay, work conditions

Mixed bag really. The hours are reasonable, about 40 hours a week, can do more though. The work conditions and role are great. I am in a project management role and managing fairly large teams for my age (amusing how I fell into the role). The people are great and there is flexibility in how I manage my time and teams. I can work from home whenever I want without reporting into anyone etc. As long as work gets done and I meet my manager twice a year.

Pay is awful for role though (for the role). Problem is I should be multiple "bands" high which correlates to pay. However they can get away with 1 promotion a year but given my age and time here, it means I am still multiple levels down (thus pay) compared to people who are a decade or two older but are in same group as me. The pay in itself is good, but I know what I should be earning which is infuriating.

As above role and people are great and seeing project delivered or going smoothly is fun. To be honest even coming in a remedying problem projects are fun. Pay is what lets it down, but that is organisation rather then role specific.

coming up to 5 years now. Started right after graduating university.

Have you had any jobs in the past? If so were they better or worse than what you are currently working?

Yeah loads of various jobs. Mostly placements, but also part time work. The part-time jobs were just that, in retail mostly and not really careers. The placements were totally different and investment banking, but good. I understanding investment banking pretty well as my Dad and brothers are in the field anyways.

Do you currently work in a career? ( a job you do for long periods of time and will continue to work at that job )

Current job is a career, but will look to move elsewhere. Currently doing a second degree at part time uni (exhausting) in Physic's with modules on Astro and engineering, so would like to use that combined with my project management to move into a field related to engineering. Or another option I will explore is moving to a project management role in the IT division at banks, many are really investing in IT so good opportunities there. I am just procrastinating with the flexibility I get here :P

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Money wise No I am a stay at home parent.

Yes I like my Kids. Hours could be better then 24/7/365+ but comes with the Kids so not really a choice.

Tomorrow at 10:00pm will be 30 months.

9 years in construction.

9 1/2 years in retail.

Not even going to go into the dozens of side jobs that lasted under 6 months over the years.

I've astounded Master Craftsman with what I can do working with wood. I've completely rewritten cooperate standards for on the job knowledge and trained countless superiors across multiple specializations.

None of that matters compared to being an average father of three.

Yes.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. I would actually do mine for free. I did in the past while also working in a law office, and if all goes well I'll be able to in the future as well.

Absolutely.

Absolutely.

A couple years I'd say.

Yep. Have worked maintenance, office jobs, and even held a sign for a while (that SUCKED)

Definitely worse. I could do them again and frankly would work any job I need to, but I love what I do now.

I'm currently a youth pastor. I'm also in school for a degree in computer information systems. When I finish I hope I might be able to find a gig somewhere and be able to put my salary back into the youth program. A large chunk already goes back into them, but I'd like to be able to do it more often.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure, why not.

Are you currently working at a paid job?

Absolutely. I'm architecture and team lead for a commercial SQL database product, and I represent our interests at the SQL Standards level.

Do you like working there (hours, pay, work conditions)?

Yes. Working conditions are ideal for me. I make my own hours so they tend to be long. Pay is good.

Yes, I love the challenges in software development and maintenance. Obviously there are frustrations, either too much to do and not enough time to do it, or wtf were the original developers thinking, etc.

Coming up on 10 years, but if you count a hiatus where I was doing basically the same thing on the same product for a different employer, it would be more like 16 years.

Any jobs in the past?

A bunch. Mostly software development of one kind or another; Operating systems, compilers, but mostly database engines. I did training and performance tuning for a few years as a consultant. I've worked with my current product one way or another since 1990. There's really only been two bummer employers, one was short term and long gone, the other was a year and a day at a high profile company (after a buyout) that was just a bad fit.

Yes. I try not to feel old but it's well into 40+ years...

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes

Hours, yes. Pay, it's decent. Work conditions, they're tolerable.

Do you have any passion for what you do? If not why do you continue to work there?

Not really. I've been looking for a new job for awhile. It's not easy.

Almost 4 years.

Yep I've had a few others. This is my second-longest stint.

Pay-wise this has been the best. Work environment, I've had better. Enjoyment of the actual job/team I work with? This is on the lower end.

Yep.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. I am a Geospatial Engineer currently working for a large government contractor on a software development project where we fly drones in conflict areas in the world with LiDAR sensors and map these areas in 3D.

Honestly, its pretty good. The pay is awesome for my age and the flexibility to go full remote/work from home whenever I want to is very nice .

Developing software and analyzing big data? No. Contributing to the mission and noble cause? Yes.

I sort of answered this earlier but the pay is good and the flexibility is incredible.

20 months

Mowed lawns, works food service, worked retail, worked for other LiDAR companies mapping non-government projects, worked in oil and gas, performed risk mitigation analysis, and other software dev stuff.

I like what I do now and I have liked and disliked my past jobs. I like this current position more than most of my other jobs though.

Yes. There is a ton of upward mobility and potential for my field/industry.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube