add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RMA vs DIY for hot GPU

Datamatr1x
  • 12 months ago

My Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1080 is running up to and sitting at 83c on the menus of games like Sniper Elite 4 and Cities: Skylines and even getting up to mid 70s in Rocket League. This is obviously not right so I tried a few things.

Roll back the driver updates. No change. Take off glass panel from case and open front for max air. No change. (room temps were 22c) Took off the aftermarket GPU backplate. No change. Lowered settings in Sniper Elite 4 enough to make it look like Sniper Elite 1. +/- 2c

So I figure this is an issue with thermals. Maybe old Nvidia paste is just not doing its job after 2 years of card use? Asus says their turnaround time could be a couple weeks but I am also pretty confident that if it is paste I can do that. If it isnt paste I wasted money and time fixing the wrong issue. I am also pretty close to the end of my warranty period anyways.

What do y'all think? Try fixing it myself with thermal pads and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut? Or play is safe and send it to Asus for repair?

Also, if I send it to Asus should I repaste it anyways as soon as I get it? And are there any particular thermal pads I should use?

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

My Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1080 is running up to and sitting at 83c on the menus of games like Sniper Elite 4

Menus and very easy to run games do that unless You cap the frame rates since the CPU/GPU are pushing way more frames then normal.

What are Your more normal gaming temperatures.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I never had any of these issues in the past for these same games though. The FPS in SEIII were mid 80's which I think is less than what a gtx 1080 should be doing. On the menu it sat steady at 60fps and 83-84c.

Previous to these issues games like heavily modded fallout 4 would run 74 average with FPS around 100.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

When is the last time You made sure the card didn't have a dust build up inside?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Or play it safe and send it to Asus for repair?

This. If Asus doesn't replace the card for some reason, you can still replace the thermal paste.

That's the safest way in my opinion as your GPU warranty hasn't expired yet.

Also, if I send it to Asus should I re-paste it anyways as soon as I get it?

If you send it to Asus, just send the card as it is without changing anything and if they replace the GPU you should be fine.

If they fix the problem in a different way, you should first try that GPU out before you take any additional measures.

Now keep in mind the higher the resolution and depending the game in question temps may rise more than you think.

Still, 83°C aren't that bad for a Asus Strix GTX 1080 GPU.

Some examples: https://imgur.com/kfYchke

...and sitting at 83°C on the menus of games like Sniper Elite 4 and Cities: Skylines

You may think that because the games are just siting on the menus your GPU should work less thus getting less temps, but that's not exactly true.

The game engine in relation to the drivers of the GPU in question defines at which loads the GPU runs at any given moment.

And obviously some other games you play, may run at a lower temperature on that GPU.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

It seemed like every game I would try: Skylines, ROTR, SEIII, Rocket League, GTA 5, Metal Gear... All these games were way above the lower 70 temps I use to get.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Τhe only thing I can imagine, (if you don't get driver crashes, BSODs or any other unusual artifacts) that the GPU gets old (after almost 3 years of heavy operation) and either it's pretty normal to get some higher than normal temps or perhaps a thermal paste change may fix these higher temperatures.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

also some game engines load up to run a menu as a moving background like world of warships.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube