add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Case recommendation needed with parts already in hand

supahfly112
  • 12 months ago

Hi everyone. Firstly, I should saw that I am very new to building PCs. I used PC the system builder ahead of time for this setup but it didn't work out the way I wanted. Here's my Scenario:

I have:

• MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC LGA 1151 Micro ATX
  • CORSAIR Hydro Series, H115i RGB PLATINUM, 280mm CPU Cooloer
  • GIGABYTE AORUS RTX 2080 TI 11GB DirectX 12 GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC Video Card
  • Intel Core i9 9900k
  • 4 x 16GB DDR4 Hyper X RAM
  • Corsair 280x RGB Case

I can fit the H115i radiator and fans on the top of the case but after putting the GPU, I don't have enough space on the bottom to mount the radiator and fans for the GPU. I tried to see if I can find an Mini ITX system board but I can't find one that has 4 DDR slots.

So I think my options are:

• Return the case and go to a mid case. This sucks because if going mid I think two RGP fans would like weird...most have space on any side for 3. I know this is just a visual sacrifice.
  • Return the GPU and replace it with one without a radiator/fans. (Newegg restocking fee applies)
  • Return the system board and replace with ITX but lose out on 32GB RAM.

I'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations on any part of this scenario. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

One radiator at the front (gpu) and one at the top (h115i)?

tried to see if I can find an Mini ITX system board but I can't find one that has 4 DDR slots.

AFAIK they never do, mitx mobo spec is for 2 ram slots I believe.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Fractal Meshify S2.

CPU in the front, GPU in the top.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

The Corsair 280x has room in the front for the 2080 Ti radiator and the H115i fits on the top. Seems like there is enough room. As for the memory, as already mentioned, mini ITX only has two DIMM slots. If you want four, you need to go ATX (Micro ATX also comes with four slots).

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

if u want to trade you board for a z370i asus id love to trade.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

They would need a BIOS update though.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe so. Currently using the board with my 9600k but found I need a bigger motherboard because my R1 cooler is to large for the front fan to be on

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I was able to fit things with separating the GPU radiator and fans. Put the fans on the bottom and put the radiator behind the front facing fans. The screen holes for the fans and radiators don't align either on the front or back but I used zip ties and double sided foamy tape to get that together.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube