add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Connecting speakers to GPU

sdg638

5 months ago

How would I connect PC speakers to a GPU? Or can I? Would it be an HDMI connection?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

To the GPU? GPUs don't have any form of an audio interface. That will all be done through the motherboard. There should be audio jacks on the motherboard I/O.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Most gaming GPU's an integrated graphics these days have HDMI or Displayport or both, both of which can be used as digital audio interfaces.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the same question. Can I connect my Gigabyte OC Gaming 1660 to a (yet-to-be-purchased) high frame rate gaming monitor (lacking decent sound) with a DP cable and at the same time connect HDMI cable from 1660 to my AV receiver for sound? I don't want to just run the HDMI from graphics card to AV receiver to monitor because the receiver doesn't support high frame rate like the monitor does. (That's how things are currently running, but my monitor is only 60 Hz).

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes you can.

This is how I manage my Audio and Monitors. Displayport cable straight into the GPU and a separate HDMI cable from GPU into AV receiver.

A Phantom monitor is created to represent your AV receiver and you select it as the sound output as normal. I post on another forum occasionally and link here shows how it looks it more detail: https://www.overclock.net/forum/18-sound-cards-computer-audio/1636632-how-set-up-5-1-surround-pc.html#post26293521

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you, that was helpful. Looks like I'll be ordering a monitor shortly.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

No probs :)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Addendum: It gets even easier. The NVidia control panel for the 1660 (and, I assume, other newer cards from NVidia) contains an item "Set up Digital Audio" that allows you to specify which of the (for the 1660, four) outputs for the card will appear under Windows sound settings. So you can run Displayport to your monitor for video and specify that HDMI will appear as a sound source in Windows, running that to your AV receiver. No need to set up a phantom monitor.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, so to confirm, you see no phantom monitor (second monitor representing the AV system) when you go into Nvidia multiple display or windows's own display area (right click, display settings on the desktop)?

FYI you do not set up the phantom monitor, it gets automatically created, at least with all the GPU's I have used. But if your saying a second monitor does not show in those area's at all, then that new. The "set up digital audio" area is as you describe, but the phantom monitor as mentioned at least on all Nvidia GPU's still gets made.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there an AV receiver inbetween the GPU and Speakers? I would assume there is and your not randomly talking about jacking the GPU directly to speakers somehow.

If so, then yes you can actually connect the GPU to the AV reciver via HDMI. It is infact what I do with my current setup right now.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

HDMI and Displayport can both carry digital audio.

There are numerous ways to get that audio signal to speakers, but they all require having a sound processor to perform D/A conversion somewhere in the chain.

Some displayport and hdmi monitors include a basic stereo D/A converter with an 1/8th inch sound output jack (select the monitor as the sound output devices). That could be used as the line level analog source to drive desk speakers/headphones, though in most cases, your motherboard's onboard analog output is apt to be as good or better with less latency.

Another option is to run HDMI from your GPU to a receiver, then drive speakers from the reciever.

Another option is to run HDMI to an HDMI Audio De-Embedder/Extractor device, then take the analog or digital extraction from that device to your a speaker system (pre-amp).

More details about what you have and are trying to accomplish would help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube