add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will 2080ti super support pcie4.0 and hdmi2.1?

KiKi1992
  • 11 months ago

I want to build a PC with pcie4.0 I don't want to waste it, so I want to use a graphics card that supports pcie4.0,will 2080ti super support it? If not, I will consider waiting for 5800xt

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Unlikely the 2080Ti will have a PCIe 4.0 interface. However its not needed. You do not randomly need the GPU to have 4.0 for the sake of it. As it stands the PCIe 3.0 x 16 interface has enough bandwidth for the GPU, even x8 while slightly impacted is largely fine. The 2080Ti is fine as it is, you would only be crippling yourself (assuming budget it not an issue and the 5800XT comes in around 2070 performance) for getting the 5800XT over the 2080Ti simply due to the lack of PCIe 4.0.

No idea on 2.1, current version do not but who knows.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

It's unlikely to support PCIe 4.0 or HDMI 2.1 since the base model doesn't support either.

If not, I will consider waiting for 5800xt

You are likely to be waiting a long time.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

We don't even know if there's going to be a 2080ti Super yet.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Considering that a 2080Ti doesn't even need PCI-e 3.0 bandwidth to do as well (does need at least equivalent to ~3.0 8x bandwidth to not suddenly be starved, though), it's unlikely it'll be engineered for PCI-e 4.0. And as it is, the usage demonstrated by AMD for 4.0 on the RX 5700/xt is nebulous at best, and doesn't translate to inherent game-play performance.

I wouldn't expect to see PCI-E 4.0 being a marketing term on nvidia until true second-gen RTX (FWIW, Super sounds like and is likely a refresh) shows up. Even then, it probably won't be a requirement for GPU's until at least two more generations. Just look at the history of it. PCIE 1 first showed up for the geforce 6800 and Radeon X800; it wasn't really needed until the geforce 8800 ultra.

PCIE 2.0 showed up with the gtx 480(?); wasn't required for performance until the 680

PCIe 3.0 debuted with the gtx 780(?); wasn't required until the 2080.

PCIe 4 is being shaped up to be able to allow enough speed for stuff besides video cards; that's where it'll realize more immediate and noticeable performance for users. So no, it won't magically make your GPU that much faster. But it'll let you realize a ton of speed with an NVMe RAID, and not require an HEDT platform (Threadripper/Skylake X) to do so.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube