add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVGA Z390 Dark Vs EVGA NU for gaming

TMatzelle60

5 months ago

I have a Pair of audioengine A2+ speakers that is paired with there subwoofer and was wondering this is a gaming rig would I be fine with onboard audio or should I get the NU

The Z390 Dark has

Audio – 5.1 Channel Creative Analog/Optical + EVGA NU Audio Audio Controller – Creative Core3D CA0132 + SV3H615

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

unless you're a total audiophile, the onboard audio on most motherboards these days is fairly sufficient.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Or the provided software isn't enough.

Tom's hardware did a thing about it, where they measured everything from the typical $2 realtek onboard audio chip to a $2000 external DAC with vacuum tubes; they used some 600Ohm headphones for their own listening tests. What they found, was, in terms of say, listening to a high bit rate super audio CD, they all were equally capable of doing so. The difference was the companion software and the ability to tune the output scaled up with the solution.

That said, I'm personally not a fan of headphones. I would much rather use surround speakers 9/10 times, both because of the size of my head and because I also care about having correct positional audio support in current and legacy games that I do play.

If you also try to stream your footage to a service like Twitch or YouTube gaming, onboard audio is also much more likely to suffer from issues inherent with electronic noise from the audio circuitry.

For me, when it comes to the legacy games, it doesn't matter how high end the audio chip claims it can be. If the driver and software do not report correctly to support the effects that the game will itself expect or want, the audio quality is degraded. This is especially the case with stuff made during windows xp and earlier eras, when EAX and DirectSound were the de-facto choice for pc gaming audio.

Just like with directX and OpenGL for graphics, directsound did the same thing for audio. If your audio chip wasn't reporting able to handle more effects, it would dial down the quality until it reached what it assumed your hardware could handle. Now, try doing that in an OS or environment where those old codecs or function calls were axed off without a translation of any kind. that's the reality for pc gaming since windows vista. OpenAL has its merits, and I won't discount that; but it doesn't provide a nice way natively to handle those old games.

In that respect, it's one reason I make a point to stick with a sound card. The companion software, plus the (relative) isolation of electrical noise, means far less to go wrong and more of my games are supported seamlessly. Is it for everyone? No. But it's why questions like this deserve more clarity.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

From what you're specifying here, you have 2.1 speakers and your motherboard already has a Core3D chip, plus whatever the NU audio already facilitates. so, to answer the question for your specific situation... you should be pretty well covered for driving your speakers clear and clean, provided the drivers for the onboard Core3D and Nu Audio onboard cover what games or audio needs you have.

I hear that Nahimic (the brand of the software driving the NuAudio stuff for eVGA) does really well with modern games for OpenAL stuff. In theory the Core3D of the creative chip should have companion software that could handle legacy games that expect older codecs like EAX well. I just can't speak for either, since I've yet to run a system with either included.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I ended up getting the NU

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you now?

Do let me know what kind of software it comes with. Especially if, it has anything for handling EAX on older games.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I will have my setup done soon ill let you know the software is still early and they just added virtual surround

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube