add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lets Discuss : Sleep

Lets face it, sleep is necessary for our survival and for our mental health. Getting too little sleep can cause problems like writing posts after a 20hr shift. Too much can quite literally suck the life energy out of you, haven't you ever wondered why you have less energy on your days off? So, how

Many hours of sleep do you get on average? ( My Answer : 4 - 6 )

Per work day? ( My Answer : 4 - 6 )

Per day off? ( My Answer : 11 - 15 )

What is the most optimal time to go to sleep and wake up for you? ( My Answer : 11PM to 9AM )

Do you get enough sleep? ( My Answer : Not even close )

What happens when you dont get important sleep hours? ( My Answer : Writing a post about sleep after a long days of work )

Have any other sleep related questions? Post them below!

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 6 points

I am writing a answer to this post because.... I can't sleep.

Sleep and i have been in a strained relationship since i was a preteen. We get to see each other a few hours a night, but it is very random. If i get to see my sleep more than 5 hours in a night, i consider myself lucky. I felt like i should break up with sleep because we dont get to spend enough time together. But i feel that would cause other underlying issues.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I used to be friends with sleep, Now im friends with insomnia.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I am having a discussion with sleep as we speak... Its 12:47 AM here, i think you know how that talk is going.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Many hours of sleep do you get on average? 7-8

Per work day? 7-8

Per day off? 7-8

I don;t sleep more or less on any given day. I just adjust time I go to bed accordingly with when I need to get up. WAY WAY healthier vs sleeping less some days and a ton on other days.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I do something similar. I sleep 6 hours, so, if I pass put at 3am on a weekend, I sleep until about 9am, lol.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

You sleep 15 hours a day on your days off? Impressive.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

That really is, i am lucky to get 15 hours in a three day period.

• 5 months ago
  • 5 points

I probably get about 6-7 on average a night. 15 hours a day would suck though, your entire day is gone at that point.

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

My body is so used to so little sleep. That if i sleep more than 6 hours, i have a sore back, cramps in my neck and all that other good stuff. Like my body says, ***** why you even trying.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

That is the first time i have seen you type a "naughty" word.

My back only hurts if im bent over all day ( like cutting metal ) or if im lifting all day ( Like carrying a bunch of 2x4s ). After i get home and finished my jog ( if applicable ) my back is glued to a chair until i sleep.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I use them here, but very rarely, just for a bit of shock factor, because people dont think that would come from me.

I remember those construction days for sure. I did Florida roofing and construction for years.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks its been a while since i had a 15 hour nap though. Like a year ago, i work too much now.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

It's scary how much sleep can effect your mental health. (Is it "affect" or "effect?") For me, whenever I feel a bit depressed and don't know why, I often "just happen" to have not gotten much sleep the night before; I'm convinced by now that it's not coincidence.

I usually get 5 to 8 hours of sleep, but I guess you're supposed to need more if you're young.

Actually, I want to shower now so that I can go to bed. Maybe I'll finish my thoughts about sleep tomorrow. Sleep is interesting; sometimes it can even have a sexual connotation...

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

affect

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I can usually get 7-8 hours of sleep. I know a lot of people my age have trouble getting a decent sleep schedule, but I usually sleep 2200-0600/0700. I guess it helps that I work out every day and I don't have a school schedule like the average highschooler.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

“but I usually sleep 2200-0600/0700”

This is legitimately my school-year schedule. The more I read your posts, the more I become paranoid that you’ve found a way to spy on me or something.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think you're too alone with a 10pm to 6-7am sleep pattern, lol. Seems pretty normal.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I would think so, but I never quite be sure.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it would depend on who is older and if I remember correctly from conversations over the past few years, I am older. Not by much. So it's more likely you would be spying on me.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I think you are about two months older.

Since that makes you the more capable adult, it is clear that you are the one spying!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah but my ways were set before yours. So you are the clearly the spy.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That sounds like something a spy would say!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Many hours of sleep do you get on average? About 8-9 hours.

Per work day? 8-9.

Per day off? 8-9.

What is the most optimal time to go to sleep and wake up for you? I try to maintain a consistent sleep schedule so I'm usually in the bed by 9pm and awake at 5am to start my day.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I always sleep 6 hours, work day or day off. Getting too far from your daily sleep pattern (by, say, sleeping way more on days off) will seriously mess with your Circadian rhythm. Would definitely explain why you're more tired on your days off.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

You see i would have a consistent sleep schedule, if not for the fact that my start times are different every day and i work a wildly insane "schedule". When i am working 7 days a week i usually get less than 35 hours a sleep per the week but i get extremely tired of only getting 4 hours of sleep sometimes and i sleep longer, alot longer. Its not healthy but until i can get a job that doesnt run you into the ground with 60+ hour work weeks i have to deal with an unhealthy sleep schedule. Getting 8-10 hours a day is recommended by most scientists.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry to hear your work is so erratic. Been there, man. Hopefully you find something with a nice set schedule.

I've heard the whole 8-10 hours thing, but I've also seen studies suggesting more sleep (I think it was in excess of 9 hours, but it's been a while) increases mortality rate (for whatever reason). I guess it's a pick your poison sort of situation, lol.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont know why theres so many studies that come to different results when it comes to researching sleep. Might be down the personal bias of the people doing the studies.

Sorry to hear your work is so erratic. Been there, man. Hopefully you find something with a nice set schedule.

My hope is the money i have from side businesses and investments will pay off and i can quit the rat race once and for all and do a job i want to do instead of one i have to do.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The study I mentioned, if I remember correctly, was a meta study conducted over ~40 years using millions of data points. So, the weight sure was on it's side. But, again, foggy memory and several years have passed. I could be misremembering!

My hope is the money i have from side businesses and investments will pay off and i can quit the rat race once and for all and do a job i want to do instead of one i have to do.

Or, better yet, start a company!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm pretty defensive with my sleep schedule. I'm usually, (90+%), in bed by 8:30 PM and almost immediately asleep. Up at 3:45-50 AM. My alarm is set for 4 but I usually wake up before it beeps. I really work at not letting anything mess up the schedule. IF there happens to be a TV program on a Friday or Saturday I may stay up later, but probably not. I sometimes take a nap on weekends but not often and not more than an hour or so. The schedule's been the same for years now and it works for me.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm impressed, that takes a lot of discipline although at this point it is pretty much routine for you.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It helps that there's rarely anything on TV I'm interested in enough to stay up. :)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I get around 5 hours a night, maybe 7 if I'm really lucky, but it isn't uninterrupted sleep. Having kids is just bad for your mental health. I'm very irritable when I get up, but after I fully wake, I can usually get calmed back to my normal self.

Before my wife gave birth to our second boy, I was doing so well. Weight training three days a week, hard conditioning twice a week, and sleeping/waking like clockwork (11pm asleep, 7am wide awake and full of energy). Now, ugh. I love my son, but he really messed me up. Just another two years before I can go back to being healthy again.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

7 to 9 hours sleep regardless. In the winter, when not much to do, may sleep a bit more and probably a 2-3 hour nap on weekends.

Got a CPAP about 2 years ago. Has changed my life. Since the CPAP, I have not even had a head cold. I no longer snore and now I think my wife might get better sleep too.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I get an average of 6-8 hours of sleep, which is ideal. Was not always that way, though. A year ago, I had to get by with just 4 everyday. Sometimes it's my own fault, like staying up late using my phone, but sometimes I just have to work overtime and the hours in the day are not enough.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Get some rest, and good luck on your test.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

It's my belief that they'll do their best.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube