add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3900x or the I9-9900k

Danoga

7 months ago

For the past few days i have been building a ryzen 3900x pc. However just this morning i was reading about the 3900x getting quite hot and being hard to cool with air or water. Also saw that the I9-9900k has better benchmarks in gaming. If gamings my sole purpose of a new computer, would it be better to roll the 3900k or I9-9900k?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 6 points

The 9900k does better in gaming but only when the GPU is not the limiting factor (typically the RTX 2080 or equivalent upwards, depending on resolution), and when the monitor refresh rate is over 90fps.

If either of those aren't met, then the chips are essentially the same for gaming. If you're doing any video editing or any type of rendering, then go with the 3900x. If it's just gaming but you don't meet the previous conditions, go with whichever option gives the cheaper platform.

Finally, if you are just doing gaming and meet the earlier conditions, then the 9900k makes a slightly better choice (or the 9900kf alternative which offers a slightly better price at the moment)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for being the first person I've seen offer a reasonable, true response to this question that has been popping up a lot lately. I'm an AMD guy, but it'd be misguided to blindly recommend the 3900X for any streaming or workload applications. It is better overall, yes, but there are still applications that favor Intel's clock speed advantages and frankly for most users neither chip would make a noticeable enough difference anyway. On the other hand, it'd be equally as misguided for people to blindly recommend the 9900K 'for gaming' when the differences between the two are usually only highlighted at very high refresh rate 1080p benchmarking. Now, I'm no prophet, but I'd wager the majority of folk spending $400+ bucks on processors aren't the type to pair it with a video card and monitor on the lower end of the market.

The real answer to the question depends on current pricing and specific application/game uses for the system. I'd say for 99% of users out there, either of them are fine. That's my whole take on the topic.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

For the past few days i have been building a ryzen 3900x pc.

So you already have the components and are assembling them into a PC over the last few days?

If so... Isn't this thread a little late?

If not...

Really doesn't matter. 9900K and 3900X are both so overkill for gaming it doesn't make any meaningful difference. The 9900K offers a slight FPS advantage in some CPU bound conditions in some games. The 3900X offers some streaming option advantages.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I just finalized a build and I am waiting on last couple items to be delivered. I was considering the 3900x but went with the i9 9900k because I basically know what I am getting with intel and wanted to build a beast! My build:

CPU- i9 9900k MB- Aorus Z390 Master Cooler - NZXT Kraken 72 GPU - RTX 2080 super FE RAM - Corsair RGB pro 36GB DDR4 3200mhz PSU - RXi 850w SSD - WD Black PCI-E 500GB, 1 TB Samsung EVO Case- H700i

This is a 5yr build for me

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Neither, the 9900KF if you are in the USA. Wal-Mart has it for $420 right now.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with the i9-9900K. Ryzen 3900X is an awesome chip if you have applications demanding it. Otherwise it is a more expensive alternative offering little to no benefit for your use scenarios.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Otherwise it is a more expensive alternative

More expensive alternative? :-P

The 3900X costs $500 and comes with a cooler.

The 9900K costs $485 and does not come with a cooler.

Also consider, that a LGA1151v2 socket board has reached its limits as future CPU upgrades concerns.

Last but not least, for OCing an i9-9900K you definitely need a good board and a good cooler.

So at the end, you will pay much more with an 9900K and an appropriate board-cooler compo than with an 3900X.

And as gaming concerns what fellway mentioned stands.

The 9900k does better in gaming but only when the GPU is not the limiting factor.

Example: Ryzen 7 3700X vs Core i9 9900K | RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB

The difference between a 3700X and a 9900K with a lower grade GPU (but still powerful enough for today games), is not even worth mentioning.

You will not be able to tell the difference without a monitoring tool. :)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

More expensive alternative? :-P

I cannot disagree with you at all even though saying so negates my prior claim. But, I have my reasons for saying it. Long story short I did not like the performance of the cooler with the 3900X and ended up pursuing another solution.

Also consider, that a LGA1151v2 socket board has reached its limits as future CPU upgrades concerns.

That is true but if you build a gaming rig now, your next upgrade will focus on DDR5 compatibility. Either way, AMD owner or Intel, if you want the latest and greatest you will be dumping gear in the next couple of years.

Last but not least, for OCing an i9-9900K you definitely need a good board and a good cooler.

True but you do not have to OC much for the chip to run well. If anything it is OP for gaming even on stock settings. Although there is this "do not buy a K unless you overclock" mentality I do not treat it as a golden rule.

So at the end, you will pay much more with an 9900K and an appropriate board-cooler compo than with an 3900X.

You certainly can spend more than double the X570 build if your intention is to take the chipset to it's limits. Nothing in the rulebook says you have to though. A bare bones approach with Z390 can be cheaper than current X570. Yes there is a free cooler that comes with the CPU but it is not free, the cost is just hidden in the price of chip + cooler. Tempered glass build? Aesthetics differ from user to user, I ignore the cooler that comes with AMD CPU. It gets put away with the box it came with. I would throw it away but it is better for resale down the pipeline.

The 9900k does better in gaming but only when the GPU is not the limiting factor.

Indeed. Particularly when the majority of builders end up going for GPU's that typically are not chosen for 1080p builds. The 240Hz/1080p is a gaming rarity. i9/Ryzen 9 are overkill for gaming if that is your reason for buying them.

The difference between a 3700X and a 9900K with a lower grade GPU (but still powerful enough for today games), is not even worth mentioning.

Or even for that matter a 2K or 4K panel and higher grade GPU. The area where a 9900K will really show a frame rate improvement is niche. To that rare gamer, i9-9900K > R9 3900X. If you Stream and Game the R9 3900X could well step ahead here.

I think the CPU hierarchy is blown out of proportion for gaming. I would rather argue with my wife over which Toilet Paper to buy for our restroom than argue with folks here over the few fps you gain with one choice versus another. Yawn........

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

9 games tested 3900x vs 9900k..........you decide with your wallet :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGwEg7px2ko

ps, not my video btw

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So based on the video, they are basically even. Just by playing them you'll basically not be able to tell a difference

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

you are correct. do you know current pricing on both CPU's?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

9900KF - $420 at Walmart

3900X - $499 and on backorder.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Actually I was able to pickup the Ryzen 9 3900X for 449.99 and yes I have it in hand after waiting about a 1 1/2 weeks for it to ship.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice! Have fun with 12 cores that can tackle anything in its path!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks, not shopping for a new cpu, but was interested in the latest pricing

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD has some more 3900Xs in stock now, they won't last long.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

To address your other comment, I don't think a 3900X is any harder to cool than a 9900K; in fact, it ought to be easier. You can use a 3900X with the stock cooler, although to get the most out of it you'd want to install a better aftermarket cooler.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Only ever gaming then i9.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

An aspect that I often see left out of these comparisons is the "future-proof-ness" standards that come with going AMD x570. Namely, WIFI 6 ax and pcie gen 4.

I know that current GPUs don't even saturate pcie gen 3 but will pcie gen 4 be necessary to get the most out of GPUs two generations from now in 3-4 years? (e.g. RTX 4080 TI)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you thought of the i7 9700k for gaming? Save some $$ from the 9900k if you go the intel route.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thought of going intell, but in the longer run i figured the 3900x route would be better

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube