add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lets discuss : Travel

Most of us like traveling seeing new places,things,stuff and most people travel on a regular basis.

Where are some cool places you have been to?

What about uncool places?

Any interesting experiences?

Lets discuss!

For me personally i dont travel alot because of money restrictions but i have been round this part of the country ( US ).

SoCal, mostly the Los Angeles and Inland Empire areas, too be honest here not a big fan of the area. But there are roller coasters there and thats gotta count for something. Although Inland Empire is just 2 story houses for what seems to be hundreds of miles. Some specific places include Los Angeles,Santa Monica,Burbank,HollyWood,Irvine and Pasadena for LA area and San Bernardino, Rancho Cucamonga, Monero Valley,Menifee and Temecula for inland empire. Death Valley isnt as hot as everyone says it is, just dont buy any drinks there because prices are really high, the valley also blossoms into a meadow twice a year, i have always wanted to see it.

San Diego been once and just the main city, cool zoo.

Utah, i mean its desert with a giant salt lake in the north, though zion national park is a great place to go hiking on a off season. Been to the southern part the most and its just a few cities surrounded by rocks for hundreds of miles in between.

New Mexico, unfortunately it isn't exactly like breaking bad up there,

not 100% exactly. They got hot air ballons and deserts, pretty cold surprisingly, only been to Albuquerque.

Arizona, if you ever wanted to see a cactus you came to the right place, because thats all there is here, less you go up north west, not recommended. Know this place from the palm of my hand and been to almost the whole state its large and not too walk able especially in the summer with the 120F temps, dust storms and flash floods and what not. Half the state consists of snowbird trailer parks in the winter there's more northern license plates than Arizona ones on the streets. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Only place to see both wolves and coyotes in the same place, booming economy, not a bad place at all.

Nevada, insert area 51 joke here, imagine living in a place where your entire state lives in one corner and the rest of it is just empty, if you ever played fallout new vegas it is extremely accurate to the real deal with the radiation and giant mosquitoes that take like take half your health in one hit. This is the only you'll place ever see hit 115F in the Summer and get 2 feet a snow at -20F in the winter. In the rural parts you will find some of the rarest vintage cars ever made and hundreds of thousands of wild horses.

Outside of the desert been to

Illinois, i saw east st louis in person, it is exactly what the media says about it, stopping for gas will pump you full of adrenaline. Mostly flat and farmlands, the difference between the part i was in and Chicago is like night and day, never been to Chicago but this part of the state is nicknamed the "badlands". Not becuase of geography either, but it was nice and quiet, felt homely and welcoming. I saw my first skunk here and that ended about as well as it does in the cartoons.

Maine, only place i have been to where people speak french natively, only been once, its cold, but peaceful, unfortunately never ate local crab which from rumors is the best in the nation.

Only interesting experience i had on a road trip to socal one time some guy in the middle of the highway was selling kittens, they were cheap but my parents didn't trust the fact this guy was quite literally 30 miles from the nearest settlement in the middle of nowhere on the side of the highway selling kittens for $25 per kitten, this guy had what to a young mind looked like hundreds of kittens and people were buying them too. I always wondered why he decided to sell kittens in the middle of highway 10, in the summer.

I want to travel more and i am traveling to the northwest sometime in the near future because the geography up there looks stunning. I did most of my traveling in a small number of trips.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

A lot of my travel could be described as "travel to interesting and unusual places, sit in a conference room with 10 other people where we all stare at our laptops." There were very few places I've been that I really didn't like; Geneva would have to be one, unfortunately. Deeply unfriendly city to outsiders, or was. On the plus side, Paris, Ushuaia, and Cape Town were special, and I enjoy anywhere in Ireland. In the US, the Utah national parks, Colorado Front Range and rockies, the Grand Canyon, Sequoia National Park, and Death Valley stand out.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I've been all over the USA and seen all the major things to see.

Recently I traveled to Spain (Barcelona), Italy (Taormina, Rome, Venice, Almafi Coast), Croatia (Dubrovnik), Montenegro (Kotor), and Greece (Corfu) on a trip with my wife and her family.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I’ve actually done a lot of traveling this summer to a lot of exotic places, so this is a good discussion!

First off, I was on a two-week trip to Europe with my school where we saw England, France, and Italy. London was pretty cool, as was Portsmouth and Normandy. Paris is a lot dirtied than I thought it was (although their markets were delicious). Italy was gorgeous all around.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Come here to Australia, but don't anger our military and their kangaroos!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

First time I was in Oz was 1997, had a chance to spend a day hiking in the Grampians. I was driving there and a roo coming from the left put a hole in my right front bumper (I was going 70 km/h, think about that) and as far as I know got away with only a pain in the arse. I grew up on the Hippety Hopper (warner bros) cartoons, and as soon as I saw my first real life roo in the Grampians I understood why they were portrayed as boxers!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't done too much traveling but my girlfriend has been to nearly every state (US btw). I used to race BMX between 2007 and 2014 and between that and Boy Scouts I got to see a lot of places. I could go on all day but I will try to keep it from turning into a novel.

I have been to every state up and down the east coast, except for Maine (but I reallyy want to go there). I actually found this 24" x 36" really detailed map of the US and made a frame for it with a corkboard back and hung it up on my wall to put a map pin wherever I have been.

East Coast - Highlights - I have been to the Florida Keys a few times staying on Big Munson Key for a week, snorkeling, fishing, etc... Visited Key West and completed the Challenge Peppers of Key West offers and then went and got Ice Cream at a place I can't remember the name of. I have been to Carova Beach North Carolina for a Beach trip with my girlfriend's family once. I have been to NYC three times now, each time better than the last, and I could talk about that for a while so I will spare the details.

Inland / Central USA - Highlights - I apparently have been to Illinois and Wisconsin but that was when I was like two soo. I have been to West Virginia and Ohio many times along with Kentucky and Tennessee once or twice. My favorite was flying out to Denver and spending a week around Colorado, going atop Pikes Peak, seeing the Garden of the Gods, and some other tourist attractions but that was only half of the trip. We went down to Cimarron, New Mexico to a ranch out there called Philmont, this is a place where Scouts and people alike can go hiking in the backcountry of NM. We had an itinerary of 49 miles in the center area of the ranch but it ended up being 52 miles because of one of the members of our crew sent us down the wrong trail. I wish I could explain all of this trip, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life thus far.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't been anywhere lately. A few years ago went to Ireland and Spain, which are both excellent. Toledo is a must in Spain, and Barcelona of course. Of course I happen to think DC is a pretty cool place, too!

What about uncool places?

Get out of Dublin quick. See some landmarks in the city, but don't linger; it's mostly like any old city, and the true Ireland is waiting outside.

Any interesting experiences?

The Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin, and the Guinness Storehouse. Very interesting for wildly different reasons. One was a prison that featured lots of political prisoners during the effort for Irish independence. You can sit in their cells and imagine them being in there with nothing but a candle. The other... you can pour your own Guinness! lol...

Walking La Rambla at night in Barcelona and being propositioned for weed every 10 steps. That was something else. A better experience in Barcelona: being able to step into literally any cafe off the street and get a croissant and a cappuccino for like €2.50. Amazing, and yet it pissed me off for how much of a racket it exposed espresso to be in the USA.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Never been to Vancouver (I have been to Toronto) but it seems like such a cool place. I loved Canada and would love to go back.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I was being hyperbolic, he was on the side of the highway in the middle of nowhere next to the highway with what seemed to be hundreds of crates with kittens in most of them.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube