add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
GianXG
  • 9 months ago

This will be my first pc build and i want an opinion if its a good build any critisism is appreciated. Thanks

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/shT2gw

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

I largely agree with above, like pretty much all of it, this is my approach though:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.00 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard $209.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $104.99 @ Amazon
Storage Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $94.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card $539.99 @ B&H
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case $73.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $92.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans $99.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1685.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-12 10:06 EDT-0400
  • There's a big imbalance between the CPU, CPU cooler and motherboard in my opinion. The X62 is way overkill for the 3600. The 3600 will do fine on the stock cooler, no temperature issues at all, so it's unnecessary to spend that much on the cooler for it, or any Ryzen CPU for that matter, because Ryzen CPUs don't get much overclocking headroom, so the X62 is kind of a waste in general for Ryzen. X570 is fine, but I'd be reluctant to pair a motherboard that's more expensive than the CPU, the money could be better spent elsewhere. 3700X + cheaper cooler + same motherboard for about the same price makes a lot more sense, because you get more performance and longevity, but no compromises. If that's your budget, I'd go with the 3700X too.

• Mugen 5, solid suggestion, I'd go with it. I'm just highlighting an alternative you can consider, the FUMA 2, if you don't have to have the RGB. The FUMA was like a degree or two better than the Mugen 5, and the FUMA 2 claims to be 15% better in performance than its predecessor (I've not seen comparisons yet, this is Scythe's claim), so in theory, it should be better than the Mugen 5 slightly, but not by enough to suggest one over the other. Your pick, either get the Mugen 5 without RGB for $10 cheaper, the Mugen 5 TUF for RGB or the FUMA 2 for two degrees more performance. They won't make any difference to the 3700X's performance.

• I went with the 660p for the SSD. It's faster than the 860 EVO in most situations and cheaper. For the average user, gamer, etc, this is realistically no different from more expensive SSDs and is the value choice right now.

• Changed the PSU to something a few dollars cheaper, but equal in quality to the G3.

• Cases and aesthetics are personal, but I do find the case/case fans to be an imbalance. There is nothing wrong with the case, but you're spending $100 on the fans, $74 on the case, making it effectively a $174 case for the quality and features of a $74 case. If you want a nice case with RGB already, the MB511 above suggested is good for that at a much lower price point. Good quality, nice features and reasonably priced. Alternatively, if you want to spend more on the case, you can look at Cooler Master's H500, H500P mesh version and H500M, which all come with RGB fans, great quality and more USB ports (except for the H500). Like I said though, cases are personal preference, so this is just a suggestion.

• Just my opinion.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

It's good, but you could drop the overly expensive AIO, get a cheaper air cooler, and up the CPU

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.00 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 TUF Gaming Alliance 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $59.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard $259.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $104.99 @ Amazon
Storage HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $117.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card $539.99 @ B&H
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply FSP Group Hydro G 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1646.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-11 19:52 EDT-0400
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, this version should work perfectly for him. Nice build.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Good.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

To those who commented thanks a ton i understand the motherboard is overkill but i need the wifi and Bluetooth support on it. I Changed the case to a NZXT H700 which includes fans with it. The only concern is that i live in a really hot place. My concern with the air cooler is that my cpu will overheat with the air cooler. P.S i understand that the cpu is kinda low end for the motherboard but i will get the Ryzen 5 3600 and down the road i might upgrade to the Ryzen 7 3700x and give the ryzen 5 to my cousin as a gift when he builds his first pc to help him start cause i already have the cpu like my granpa helped me with that So thanks for all the help you guys my only real concern is that of the AIO vs the air cooler for where i live if you guys help me with that question much appreciated.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

If you live in a warm place, skip the X570 Gaming Edge. Get the X570 TUF or X570 Elite. A review just confirmed the Gaming Edge burns hot even at stock usage, so I'd skip it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube