add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard for this build?

FirstTime_PCBuilder
  • 6 months ago

Looking to finalise this build list. Only question I have remaining is relating to the motherboard.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dFGtXP

At the moment I've got the B450 Tomahawk MAX in my list, but questioning whether or not that is the right choice. Alternative I was looking at was the X570 Aorus Elite for roughly £80 more but not sure if it's worth it or not.

Any thoughts in here?

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you are going with a 3000 series CPU, I'd go for the X570 MB, especially if you intend on keeping the PC for a while and upgrading it over time.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

...but questioning whether or not that is the right choice.

Honestly, for the 3600 it's NOT. lol

The MAX will do a great job for way less. But of course that's up to you. :)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd vote for the max too, I don't think the premium x570 commands is good value atm, or for the foreseeable future prolly, I think it'll be years before pcie gen 4 holds any tangible everyday real world improvement over gen 3 options.

And I'd prolly get the 650w model of the focus and get a couple of extra case fans, 2 supplied exhaust fans will give you negative case pressure so you'll be sucking in dust through all the little gaps and cracks.

Also you might wanna wait for the 3rd party gpu coolers to be available (around now depending on supply) as they have much better temps and lower fan noise, although you'll pay an extra 20-30 quid or something like that.

pre edit. oh ouch, the two 3rd party coolers listed on site atm are considerably more than that at an extra ~80 quid. Hopefully that's just a short term supply thing tho, the pulse is only an extra $20 over the stock cooler in the US for example.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what you need from the motherboard, if you want PCIe 4, yea X570 would be better, I wouldn't even buy a expensive one, the X570 Gaming K4 is perfectly fine. One thing you have is the 5700XT reference card, perhaps you should consider custom boards.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube