add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

System Randomly Dying

US_Rifle_Cal30_M1
  • 7 months ago

So the title of this sounds stupid, almost noobish, but I honestly do not understand what is happening with my system. Granted; this is my first ever PC build and I put a lot of time and effort into learning what to do, what parts to choose, and took my time doing the build. All my parts were compatible according to the site and the PC turned on and booted up no problem. Had no trouble selecting boot drive and installing Windows and all that.

Here's a link to my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3KtTdX

As you can see, I chose all good components with good ratings and was willing shell out some good money for it. Yea, I cheaped out on the screen, but that's an upgrade for the future. I am starting to wonder if I should have gotten a more expensive power supply and CPU cooler, though.

Anyway, onto the problem. As I began actually installing programs, games and transferring files yesterday, suddenly the PC just randomly shut down. What's more bizarre for me is that while the system just died, the aesthetic lights on the Motherboard continued to glow as if there was nothing wrong, but the system won't turn back on when I push the power button unless I turn the whole system on and off again directly at the switch on the power supply; only then can I actually boot the thing up with the power switch on the case.

During troubleshooting, I cannot seem to pin down the problem within what I generally know about problems that typically arise with these kinds of builds. I have double-checked and All of my cables are correctly connected and managed.Windows is correctly loaded and seems to run all basic programs just fine. Even after restarting I don't get any kind of Windows error indications in the boot screen letting me know that windows has even detected any kind of crash or "unexpected shutdown". I have not gotten to test any kind of high intensity programs/games yet since the computer won't stay on long enough to download them. Further into the subject of system strain, I do not believe that is the case. My GPU is showing no strain in normal operation of the PC. The CPU does not seem to be feeling any strain either. Checking the task manager while running several low intensity programs and transferring files, the CPU showed no problems in keeping up in handling them. Further, neither the cooling fans for the CPU, GPU, the Power Supply, or the Case seemed to be showing signs of strain and were all running at low and relatively quiet speeds.

Upon checking the BIOS, nothing regarding CPU or fan usage seemed to indicate substantial strain. CPU, Motherboard, and PCH temps are all in the 95 to 110 degree F (35-45C) range. I'm not sure what normal operating temps should be for my kind of system, but again, the coolers are not running at near their max speeds to to cool it (the max speed for my CPU fan is 1500rpm and its running at around 600 to 800 rpm in the BIOS and my desktop while only running basic programs. Again, the motherboard BIOS is showing no red flags as far running temp goes. the ONLY red flag I could find was monitoring the Voltage in the BIOS immediately after the same crash today. The +5V Voltage was indicated red in the BIOS with a reading of +4.360V. The other Voltages were all in the white with CPU Core Voltage being 1.362V, +12V being +11.968V, and +3.3V being +3.313V respectively. I managed to take a picture of the BIOS screen and I wish I could include it to better illustrate what I am talking about. Needless to say, only a minute or two after taking this picture with my phone, the PC died yet again.

I'm at a loss for what to do at this point except beg for help. I thought, maybe I would try another outlet or something later. At this point however, the crash has already happened a half-dozen times and I don't want to risk powering the PC on much more lest I corrupt or permanently damage my components with further crashes. If anyone has actually read this far and can make sense of the information I've provided, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Sounds like you did the usual process from what I read here. Could you slightly clarify a little more as to what you meant on your title "system randomly dying"? Is staying ON for sometime and then just randomly shutdowns? Do you only have it running ON for so long or until you something on your computer?

If you have already checked your EPS 24-pins, EPS 8-pin (4+4) and the front panels being fully connected and were correct.. along with RAM being fully installed, the PCIE 6+2-pin was fully connected and the HDMI cable was OK between the monitor and GTX 1070.. then have you just tried to turn ON the computer only with the Power Switch wire first? And then only the Reset Switch wire to the 2-pin -> PWRBTN# & GND? Sometimes a bad or loose wire can cause random shutdowns and reboots. Sometimes just a random shutdown all together.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Yea, I'm sorry for the lack of clarity despite my best efforts. I'd estimate the PC had managed to stay on for around 4 to 4 1/2 hours at its longest stretch before shutting itself down, and literally the highest intensity thing I've run on it so far is Runescape (just to make sure it could run some type of game file without blowing up, lol). But I mean, this IS supposed to be a PC for gaming and I would need to be able to keep it on for long periods, if nothing else, because of the fact that downloading any decent sized game takes time (e.g. it took the Asus ROG laptop I'm currently using about 6 hours to download Arma 3 with my current internet service). Of course if I reset it immediately after a shutdown, it might only stay on for a few minutes before dying again, meaning I would need to leave it alone for a little while before actually being able to make another meaningful attempt. Someone below suggested that the PSU may be shutting itself down in order to protect itself, but while it shuts the main system down, it clearly is still providing some power flow since the lights aesthetic lights on the motherboard were still glowing. But yea, I'll give this a try and triple check everything along the way. I appreciate the advice and help. Many Thanks!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd download and run some stress testers, such as memtest86 for memory and prime95 for the cpu/memory.

Try reseating both memory sticks. Try running with only one, then the other, in case you have a bad stick. Try running a single stick in a couple different DIMM slots in case you have a bad memory slot.

If you're having voltage issues, it might be the power supply. That Corsair CXM supply is generally a good one but you can find a failure in any lot of any components.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Try unplugging the blue drive and see if problem goes away. If it continues I'd swap out the PSU. Generally problems like this are caused by a weak or faulty PSU but it could be anything. Best way is to use the process of elimination.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, you're not wrong. My house is really old and most of the outlets don't even have grounds. I did plug the PSU into a power strip and then into an outlet with a ground and I may try plugging it directly into the outlet this time. Of course, I'm not an electrician and it wouldn't surprise me if the outlet I'm using is either not supposed to supply that level of wattage or even the ground in it doesn't even actually do anything. I kinda feared this would happen and if that is the case, then I'm basically boned since upgrading my whole houses electrical system is out of the question. I do appreciate the tip though. Thanks!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube