add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will A Heatsink Upgrade Speed Up A Seven Year Old i3?

wcurtin1962
  • 7 months ago

I got an seven year old HP with a i3 CPU. It was running near 135F. I removed the OEM heatsink and replaced the thermal paste. Now it's down to 115F at idle. Would replacing the OEM with a mid level Artic increase the speed/capacity?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

as far as I know, no. this is because temps dont really affect speed until it hits the chip's max allowed temp of 100C (usually 100C, some chips are set/can be set to 115C for intel). while idle temps at 43 C (115 F) are not amazing, it will always depend on the ambient temps and the cooler. for an intel stock cooler, those are actually not bad temps. as for a speed increase with lower temps, its not gonna happen. if you want more speed, your options are: overclocking (probably not gonna work on your chip well, if at all), or you could upgrade to a newer chip.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Would replacing the OEM with a mid level Artic increase the speed/capacity?

It may reduce the temps, but the i3 will not become faster.

It would become faster in a sense...if the i3 would throttle because the higher than normal temps, but even with 135°F i don't think that i3 would throttle.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I would look up the specs on that PC or motherboard and find out what all processors will work in it. See if you can ebay the top CPU for it, assuming it can take a faster CPU. Couple year ago I went from a dual Pentium to a Quad duo ($18 on ebay) in a sff, cloned a ssd in it, put some other cheap parts in it, that PC is amazingly faster than it was. But I only needed it to browse fast not play games, so its good for my use. If you can upgrade yours make sure you get results that are worth it, sometimes upgrades don't help much you are better to find another PC. The only expensive part on this was the ssd and I can take that out when done with the PC.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

nah, you're better off grabbing an old i7 to put in

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks all, I'm building a i9 but this PC will be still used but not for gaming. I doubt putting anything else on this HP mother broad would produce any benefit. I just wondered if a $25 heatsink would be worth it.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the noise of the existing cooler. If that cooler is quiet enough for you then there is absolutely no reason I can think of upgrading the cooler. This is assuming there is zero thermal throttling going on but you never mentioned any temps that would come near that.

It is an old platform so there is little sense investing any money into it that you don't have to.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree. When it comes to old PC I look at refurbs I can get in the 100-300 range. If I can buy a newer one then I go that way, if I can hop this one up for <100 then it may be worth doing to get a couple more years out of it. Since I'd have to pay more for a SSD in a refurb I can't really count that, but it made it hugely faster and nicer to use. When I wanted a PC to game with I built a new one and can upgrade it for a while.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube