add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wattage recommendations. 850?

ScottMuc

28 days ago

CPU: R9 3900X (possible slight overclock) GPU: 2080 Super RAM: 32GB@3600mhz

I'm building a new workstation PC for 3D rendering, so there's going to be a lot of times where I'm going to be running either the CPU or GPU at 100% (maybe both? RTX integration in 3D rendering software is still new so I'm still not exactly sure if it'll run both components at the same time during renders) for hours at a clip. I may overclock the 3900X a little, maybe 3.9 or maybe 4.0 on all cores if I can.

I'm mainly looking for a PSU that is "comfortable" and not "just enough" for being able to run long duration renders. My budget is $2k-ish, emphasis on "ish", so I'm thinking 850W, but would definitely appreciate any advice that anyone has. Thanks!

Comments

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

The 2080 Super draws about 250w max under load, and the 3900X somewhere between 100-150w. Allowing 150w for the rest of the parts, that's about 550w max sustained load if both CPU and GPU are maxed.

In your case I'd be looking at an 80+ Platinum or Titanium PSU at 750 or 850 watts, maybe 650 for a good Titanium unit. I suspect your real life load will be closer to 450w out of the PSU most of the time.

(I don't think I'd bother overclocking a Ryzen 3000 series CPU, most testing seems to indicate that you're better off letting the clock boost do its thing. Put the money and effort into good cooling.)

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

850 Watts are too much. Unless you find a good price deal on such a PSU.

Get a 650 watt power supply. You will save some bucks and it will be more than enough for the above build configuration.

I think the best deal of an 650 Watt full modular PSU is the below.

https://www.amazon.com/BitFenix-Whisper-Plus-Modular-BP-WG650UMAG-7FM/dp/B01M8O2K90/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=BP-WG650UMAG-7FM&qid=1571251781&sr=8-1

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Even a 2080 TI paired up with a 3900X leaves plenty of headroom on a quality-driven 650W PSU. Or, a 750W unit if you want to make use of the additional EPS connector which comes bundled in (not necessary, but nice). Echoing kschendel's advice - for daily lengthy load-runs preferably a respectable platinum unit or titanium if found at a similar cost for improved efficiency.

850W is leaning more towards dual-GPU territory. If adding more GPUs for integrated rendering support is something in the pipe-works (in the long run), 850W+ units become mandatory.

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into some 750w platinum units, seems like that'll give me a decent amount of comfortable headroom

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube