add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade GPU... is it time?

PeractoPaulo

1 month ago

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am running an Asus 1060 6gb Geforce GTX Strix active on the following system:

Predator XB1Model Name: XB271HU abmiprz 144hz, G-SYNC, IPS 2560x1440 resolution Intel Core i5 8600K 6x 3.60GHz So.1151 WOF Corsair LL120 RGB 120x120x25mm 1500 U/min 24.8 dB(A) Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H60 120mm Water cooling Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming Intel Z370 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB weiß DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit 250GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s 2000GB Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM006 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s
500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM Modular 80+

I enjoy FPS gaming having played BF5, currently enjoying Wolfenstein and am currently highly anticipating Modern Warfare!

Would I be highly impressed/is it worth the money, to upgrade to a newer GPU? If I am going to invest that kind of money I want to have my socks blown off!!

I would appreciate the knowledgeable advice from the community.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

It’ll make a difference for sure, but imo the 1060 6GB is still a good contender. I wouldn’t upgrade just yet

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Wow, you have a lot of builds, might have the most builds listed on pcpp..

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/guitpicker007/

I knew this link would become useful one day! :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

WOW, just wow and here I was thinking of breaking the record of most completed builds

Thank you.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Lol, your welcome! You might be able to get there one day, though.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

wait what?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Way to steal my thunder Xp. But I think I'll have a while to go before I can reach that magic 3 digit mark

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you're playing at 1440p and aiming for 144hz, then you must be playing lowest-low settings mostly on many of those modern games. I would consider an RTX 2060 Super as a good upgrade for that monitor in those games. a 2070 Super would be ideal, but medium settings or even high settings could be achievable on the 2060 Super fairly easily in most games. If you don't want to spend the money right now, the 1060 6GB should be at least functional, if not great.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes a RTX 2070 should do fine on BF5 but it will not achieve 144 fps.

But that's a G-sync monitor. So you should be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jaJoG_cKFU

And Wolfenstein 2 would run even better.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-founders-edition/29.html

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What you have is solid, but if you want to fully utilize that monitor, then yes, upgrade the gpu. You should have no issue in most games at 1080p 60hz, or many games at 1080p 144hz or 1440p 60hz, but to hit 1440p at 144hz on high settings, you'll want more performance for sure. Just don't neglect the psu when you upgrade... 500w is OK for a lower power card, but if you upgrade the gpu to the flagship level stuff then you'll definitely need more wattage to make sure everything runs smooth.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube