add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 with most recent updates on USB

MrXanthios

27 days ago

I am troubleshooting my Rx 5700 xt, before sending it back via Amazon I want to try an absolutely clean install of windows 10.

The question is: is it possible to create a USB installation key with the latest version existing right now of windows 10? What I want to avoid at all costs is windows requiring any kind of update after install for some simple reasons. First, I heard that you need to have windows completely updated for the best outcome with the new radeon cards. Second, I want windows completely up to date immediately, so that I can deactivate the updates manually and avoid windows update to try to download any kind of graphics driver, since my Rx 5700 xt will be plugged in the system. I really want to minimize as much as I can any possible software interference.

Comments

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

Assuming you do have a fully legal windows 10 LICENSE on your existing PC, or I can't talk about this apparently. Look up rufus, I used that, then don't be connected to the net when you use it and it wont be able to update. I don't know if you can stop update I never tried, even with a version 10min old it still updated, or checked anyway.

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

I actually do have a Win10 license key. Anyway from the windows official website I can download Win 10 version 1903, which is the most recent they provide, but even that one is from May 2019, two months before the radeon cards came out. And people are saying that you need Win 10 completely up to date to have the best chances to avoid problems.

Maybe I can install the May 2019 version, keep it off the internet, install the radeon drivers first, then start updating win 10. At that point since the graphics drivers are already installed, Windows shouldn't feel the need to download anything that is related to the GPU. Do you think it might be the right way to go?

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

Rufus only makes a bootable usb, most said it worked better. If you can't get a newer version it wont help you. I had some issue with my 2400g and installed/updated everything too. There is so much stuff and sometimes the order you install changes it. I flashed the bios, then put in all the MB drivers, the gpu/cpu/chipset drivers, then I have the radeon software too. It could be something to do with that. It seemed to fix it, windows is already updated itself, I don't think it updates drivers automatic but not sure.

If there are any updates then windows should do it via update, if there is no new version out yet.

[comment deleted]
  • 27 days ago
  • 1 point

The easiest way to do this is use the Microsoft Creation Tool, and us it to create an installation USB Thumb Drive. This will be the most up-to-date installation of Windows 10 you can get.

Now that being said, Windows 10 installation work best if you have you PC plug into you network via Ethernet and do the install. It is likely you may have some small up dates, and you want to let Windows 10 boot up and install the drivers it wants...including the initial video card drivers. I can understand your idea, but it will cause you more headaches then anything else. After Windows is done, then download and install your GPU drivers....and that is it.

Windows 10 does a very good job of getting the drivers it needs. From may experience installing it on everything you can imagine if you try and mess with this, it does not turn out well.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

Ok, so I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft website and used Rufus to create the USB key. It worked flawlessly. During the installation process it turned out the version provided was dated 9/9/2019, just one month old. On the MS website it says it is from May 2019, but apparently it's even more recent . When I finished the installation, I then proceeded to update windows and a grand total of four updates were installed. That was sufficient to bring me fully up to date. If you are troubleshooting the new radeon cards, I strongly suggest to install Windows 10 using the ISO Microsoft provides directly from their website. I then proceeded to install GPU drivers and after that Origin and Battlefield 5 for testing.

On my main drive, where I have a version of Windows that I have had for a couple of years now and went through some hardware swapping and different drivers installations, Battlefield 5 is stuck at 90-100 fps, well below the expected performance, and well below what you can find on several videos on YouTube that benchmark this game. I play at 1080p. On the other hard drive, where I proceeded to install Win 10 yesterday evening, Battlefield 5 runs at 130-140 fps. I would say a massive gain and on par with what everyone is publishing on YouTube.

I was on the brink of sending back my card to Amazon, but I am happy to see that the problem was the OS.

I will further test this and check that the performance stays solid.

If you are one of those people that are troubleshooting the Navi cards, I recommend to download the version of Win10 provided directly by Microsoft.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube