add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with Compatibility Warning

aidavrich

26 days ago

I've created a part list so I have a visual of what I'm going to be upgrading my Gaming PC with over the next several months and I got this warning. "The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled."

I have fairly broad tech knowledge but I'm totally confused by what this means, I do know it has something to do with my motherboard and one of the M.2 Slots. Below I've listed the parts I believe could be of relevance to the problem. Could anyone please help me?

CPU: i5-9600k GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Windforce OC MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Comments

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

This simply means that if you use the M.2 slot one of the SATA ports on the board will be disabled. Not a problem since you just can just use the other 5 SATA ports. The warning is use there in case someone was planning a build that would require all 6 of those ports plus the M.2 Slots.

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

I once requested a rewording of the message, but it didn't happen. The important part is the second sentence, which is telling you all that you need to know. The first sentence, telling you why, is likely the one that confuses most people.

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

Setup 1: If you install the M.2 SSD drive into the M2A socket SATA3 1 port will be disabled.

Setup 2: If you install the M.2 SSD drive into the M2M socket SATA3 4 + SATA3 5 ports will be disabled.

So according to the above, that means if you select setup 1, just don't connect the HDD drive to SATA port SATA3_1. Use a different port.

If you select setup 2, just don't connect the HDD drive to SATA port SATA3 4 or SATA3 5. Use a different port.

Note: That board has 6 SATA ports. [SATA3 0 / SATA3 1 / SATA3 2 / SATA3 3 / SATA3 4 / SATA3 5.

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

This is usually because there are only so many pcie lanes so they divide a few, so you can use them for sata or the m.2 but not both. They do the same thing on some ryzen motherboards, mine does it with pcie x1 slots and the 2nd m.2.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube