add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ROG Maximus Hero XI - simplish RAM question

Killuminatus

1 month ago

I bought this motherboard in a custom unit and had 2x16 3200 Corsair put in. Can I put another two sticks of identical ram into the remainning slots and get 64gb running at the 3200? I don't know enough about motherboard technical specs to know if I can reach full potential here.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Depends on if the memory controller on the CPU can handle that level of overclocking across that much memory.

Maybe it will work fine, Maybe you'll need to use a lower speed.

Without actually trying its guesswork.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I can return the ram if it doesn't work I suppose.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If you need that much RAM just run it at a lower speed rather then return it if it doesn't run properly.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Normally at that low speed that board should not have any problems driving a quad kit (or even two dual kits) at that speed.

Intel CPUs have a very robust IMC, and the BIOS implementation of that particular board is also excellent.

Still there may be some Ram kits that may not work at that speed if all 4 Ram slots are populated. I don't know if that has something to do with those particular ram modules or the board itself.

Lastly if you do a CPU OC, that may affect negatively the speed of the ram especially on a quad kit depending which one comes first.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I had planned on overclocking my i9 99k to something like 90% max possible. I can conceptualize the issues you're talking about. I didn't know that 3200 was considered a low speed interesting.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I didn't know that 3200 was considered a low speed interesting.

Well for an Z390 board it is.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube