add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Worth upgrading from GTX 980 to Vega 56 for 220€?

smoothbit

1 month ago

Is it worth upgrading from this GTX 980 to this Vega 56? My computer’s inside an NCASE M1, so I imagine the blower style cooler will be better for cooling, but is the performance upgrade worth 220€? Or should I wait for the next generation of graphics cards to come out?

To give some context, I want to play Red Dead Redemption 2 at 2560x1440 60Hz, and I’d like to spend no more than 250€.

~~~

Update 21st November 2019:

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I decided to sell my 274mm 165W GTX 980 for 150€, but then instead of replacing it with a longer, hotter 280mm 210W card I went the other way and got a 170mm 125W GTX 1660 Super instead.

The GTX 1660 Super is not quite as powerful as a Vega 56, and it cost 30€ more, but this way I can move my computer out of the NCASE M1 and into a Lian-Li PC-TU100, it should still be a noticeable upgrade from the GTX 980.

As for Red Dead Redemption 2, when I get around to buying it I'll use these two videos to tweak the settings:

But I'm not in any rush; I've decided to stick to cool and quiet graphics cards under 250€ from now on, so I may leave playing RDR2 another ~4 years ;)

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Anyone?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well, its theoretically better 30/40% (didn't test it myself). I'm sure it will be playable at 1440/60hz, depending on the game/settings you chose (Ultra/Veryhigh), you may have to adjust those a bit.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Recommended Specs for RDR2 are

Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

This probably for medium settings 1080p. To get 1440p high settings at 60fps will likely require a card with more muscle that the Vega 56.

Anyway upgrade from GTX 980 to Vega 56 will certainly help but I would be looking more towards the RX 5700XT at that resolution if sticking with AMD. Do not forget to factor in your budget that you could make $100 or so selling the 980.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube