add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help picking a 4k monitor for gaming

angeleye50

2 months ago

what The best G-sync or free sync compatible monitor for the price range low $350 to High $500 I am clueless to monitors and all the stuff on them, my son say I should get a 4k with 1ms and 3840 x 2160 which I have no clue about these features. here my specs https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sF8TwP https://pcpartpicker.com/user/angeleye50/saved/ I got everything in but my pc case. we play FPS, WOW, Skyrim, FFIV, Rainbow six, GTA and Sniper games. any help appreciated.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally I think the monitor you have listed is a better choice than a 4k model, imo ultrawide & high hz would provide a more ... (ugh, I hate myself for using this word) "immersive" gaming experience than a 60hz monitor that's just sharper (big whoop).

If you've yet to purchase the parts i would drop the tp, you get some with the cooler already and 200g is... ... a lot of tp, like your grandchildrens grandchildren would still be using the same tub :D

1300w psu is overkill too, anything down to 750w would be perfectly ok.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I did like the monitor I picked out, I also have a few others on amazon that I saved. Yes my son and everyone will be using the 200g went with 1300w psu as I did have a 750 but If I want to add another video card or other stuff then I am covered.

My son always seems to try to get biggest and best, but sometimes that is not always the right choice. Thanks for the input. PS, I got all my parts in except my case and it won't be here until nov 5th.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

try to get biggest and best, but sometimes that is not always the right choice.

Yes exactly, I think 4k monitors have their uses but I don't think gaming is one of them.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I have an ultrawide so I'm prolly a little biased... but that would be my main choice too.

Probably the main factor is how far the monitor will be from your seating position, being as large as it is and a 1080p vertical resolution if you viewing distance is a foot or 2 you might find that could be an issue (as noted in a youtube review I watched), for me everything looks crisp with a viewing distance from ~18"-26" (depending on whether I'm leaning back in my chair) but that's 29" vs the 34" you're considering.

If it's convenient maybe buy it from a local store with a good return policy so you can change it if you feel the need?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks , my viewing distance is about 4ft, but I could move the monitor closer. I am in country and the nearest big town is about 1 and half hours away, but it might be worth the drive.

also is the a ultrawide in

2560 x 1440 2560 x 1600 3440 x 1440

that might be better in viewing at a longer distance that you would prefer.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go with #1 (the ultrawide LG). It would be great for gaming and productivity use.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

you are correct. almost zero games are made with 4k assets.(native 4k) . also their still a ton of strange or odd issue with 4k and win 10 anyhow atm.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

like, 1g is enough for one system

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

any thing good about this on except price https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38035

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube