add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i9-9900k vs i9-9900k

untamedvaseline

3 months ago

I bought the i9-9900k about a week ago and it is still in the box unused. I just noticed that Intel are about to release the i9-9900ks and I was wondering if I should refund my i9-9900k and buy the i9-9900ks

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Reviews are easy enough to search out on the subject.

Unless your going to be able to return the 9900K for more then the 9900KS is worth it really isn't worth the effort.

If your going to make money back on the deal then that's up to you.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The KS is a binned 5.0 ghz out of the box chip. So It'll likely cost more but guarantee max performance. If you don't want to spend the extra to guarantee 5.0 and want to just overclock to it you may only his 4.8 or so depending on silicon lotto. If you are not planning to overclock and want the most performance, KS is what you'll want if you have the money.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Well IIRC only a tiny percentage of the 9900ks cant hit 5.0 GHz. Most of them can hit that just fine. The 8700k had more of a chance to not hit 5.0 than the 9900k.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes that's what I have seen as well. Review videos posted yesterday also show some regular K chips hitting higher clocks than the new KS chips. So it's still just luck of the draw just another way for intel to get more money out of the same chip.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Not the first time a CPU company refresh the same CPU at a higher stock setting to make it seem like a "new product". Anyone remember the FX 9590? A pre overclocked FX 8350. Ohh and the i7-8086k compared to the 8700k. Moves like these also does cause a lot of confusion for people who don't keep themselves up to date with what is available.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly, it's just delaying them putting out an actual new product. AMD also did it with gpu's, the RX 480, 580 and 590. Just trying to get their share of the market back without actually coming up with something new.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Only if you can get it at the same or, slightly increased cost.

Canadian retail as of today is $719.00 but should be:

$513.00 U.S. $674.70 CAD 1.3152 0.7603

$524.00 U.S. $689.16 CAD 1.3152 0.7603

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Normally the KS should cost ~$30 more.

If you can wait, why not?

Your build should easily handle an i9-9900KS. (with and w/o an OC)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube