add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Headphone Setup on Newly Built PC

Astrian

1 month ago

I just finished building my first PC and I'm not sure how to setup my headphones so I can use them instead of my monitor's speakers. Do I need to install a sound card in order to do this? Or is there a quick solution?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Some speakers have a headphone jack built in that will mute the speakers when you use them, be sure to look for them as they are easy to miss. You should have a headphone plug and not need to use the mic plug, even most basic PC should have both. If your case does not have front plugs they may be in back. You can also get a USB adapter to run headhones cheaply, I have one because it works on any type of headphone even gaming ones with mics and windows was having problems with some of them.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I tried that. I think the issue is my PC doesn't recognize my microphone as an output device, only an input device. So even when it's plugged in i can't output the sound to it. Haven't really found a fix for this issue.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I can use my headphones but not as a microphone now. So some progress I guess. When I plug in to the microphone port on the front of the PC it doesn't seem to detect any inputs unless i talk directly into the ear of my headphones.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

This will allow me to use them as both headphones and a mic?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube