add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 5 3600 oc question

TheSingingCarrots
  • 4 months ago

I'm doing a build for my cousin pretty soon and I have my eyes on the ryzen 5 3600, and since everyone likes a good overclock, so how far can I go with 1.325v safe

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the chip but your looking at around 3.7-4ghz maybe 4.1ghz.

Stock profile already uses the max everyday safe 1.35v and will run up to 4.2ghz on all cores if you have all good cores.

Bad cores limit the boost clocks once the thread usage hits that core, as well as the overclocking potential since they are already running the max everyday safe voltage at stock.

Since AMD only validates 3000 series on one core for max boost and the rest for stock speeds overclocking is very silicon lottery dependent.

Older generations they validated all cores to run at max boost clock so you had a general idea of how far a chip could go even if it wasn't able to get there on safe voltages.

Intel is doing the same with the upcoming 10-series as well. Really takes all the benefits out of overclocking when you can't get anywhere the stock boost clocks aren't already running.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't bother. AMD chips might be unlocked, but they are not worth overclocking. The turbo mode of these processors has been so polished by AMD, the difference between a processor working on turbo and overclock is minimal

From the following study from a well known spanish tech website:

The Ryzen 7 3700X is, as known, a 8 core 6 thread processor that works at 3.6GHz and up to 4.4 GHz in turbo mode, but will all cores active it's mostly 4,2 GHz - 4,25 GHz and the frequencies are automatically adjusted depending on workload.

With manual overclock it will reach 4,25 GHz and a voltage of 1.4v, instability problems, elevated temps and lower processor life, which means that tasks that use only 1-2 cores will lose that extra power from turbo mode (4.4 GHz). In tasks that require at most 4 cores you would also be sacrificing those 100 MHz from turbo mode

In normal situations, In stock frequencies: mostly 77 degrees. On overclock, 85 degrees. On load it goes from 90 volts to 122 volt.

Ryzens are not made for 'clocking.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube