add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I5-9600KF vs 9400F for non OC build

fourdegrees11

2 months ago

Am I crazy for considering the 9600KF to use on a B365M mobo? It's only $50 more than the 9400F, and the stock clocks are much higher

3.7 vs 2.9 stock 4.6 vs 4.1 boost

This would be for a 100% gaming build.

Edit: I just went with a B450M Max mobo and R5 3600 instead

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-3600/15.html

9400F only loses you 3% or so when not graphics limited for those lower clock speeds, it really isn't enough to be noticeable.

For a gaming focus that $50 would almost be enough for a GPU upgrade with how crowded that market is currently, which would allow more eye candy and a more noticeable difference then the 3%.

9600KF would be better if you were to go for a Z390 and invest some time tuning, it would set you back about as much as a 3600 in the review above but unlike that model has a fair amount of headroom to play with between memory and CPU speeds.

It's the best cheap'ish tinkering/tuning CPU out currently for return on investment.

Another option to look at would be the last generation Ryzen R5/R7 generally 10% or less performance loss for gaming but offer more savings or more cores in case you want to get into streaming or other multi tasking.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that link, the 9400F is certainly holding its own

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Most review sites ignore game titles that don't scale with core and thread count or are almost certain to be GPU bound.

Techpowerup keeps those results around so even though they may be boring to look at it is a better overall look at how a system will run over a wider variety of games instead of just ones that scale with core and thread count.

You do want to look through the results though so you see what kinds of titles scale and what ones don't.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not get a R5 3600 with a B450 "MAX" board?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The 9600KF is a nice chip to overclock although without OC this dog loses it's bite. Get the 9400F in this case, you will not really notice the difference. If you lived on the extreme edge of 144Hz/165Hz/240Hz gaming I would say it definitely matters but were you into high refresh rate gaming you would not be looking at either of these chips in any case. Judging by new game requirements lately I am not too concerned about the future of the 9400F. There are some games that do scale with threads and will not run as fast with this CPU and there are games that will run horribly no matter what CPU you throw into the equation. I would say for the vast majority of titles you will be fine. Heck the old Haswell/Skylake locked 4 cores still run most stuff if you are not a connoisseur of high refresh rate gaming. The 9400F is a huge upgrade on these chips, you will be good.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube