add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which one of those audio chipsets is best?

AdmiralSoup

1 month ago

I don't know much about mobo audio chipsets so that's why I'm asming here. All insighs apricieted.

• Realtek S1220A high definition audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 3
  • Realtek S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
  • SupremeFX S1220A High Definition Audio CODEC
  • Realtek ALC1220

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Realtek S1220A high definition audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 3

ASRock custom ALC 1220 codec.

Realtek S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC

Cut down version of the 1220 codec.

SupremeFX S1220A High Definition Audio CODEC

Asus custom 1220 codec.

Realtek ALC1220

Realteks current highest end audio codec.

Problem is even with a high end audio codec you can have poor audio if the manufacturer doesn't properly shield or uses poor components.

Or you can have a old lower end codec that punches well above its price range.

Your going to want to look at individual reviews of each board as there are a surprising amount of mid-high end boards that have poor enough sound performance they make even lower end audio gear sound worse.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Very insightful. Thanks for your reply. I will follow your advice. I wish more mobo reviews would take into consideration the audio chipsets.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Unless you are a true audiophile it is not going to matter. If you are a true audiophile you are going to be more interested in an external DAC, so it still will not matter.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm not an audiophile at all actually. I'm just trying to avoid crappy mobo audio. It's good to know that it doesn't matter. Thanks for your input.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

mobo audio has improved greatly in recent years and is now really what most people need it is not like it was many years ago

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

My Asus has the s1220a with crystal sound 3. I have a Z506 5.1 spealers on mine and they sound very good, considering they are little PC speakers. I can be audiophile but don't expect it with this and no its not HT sound, but for what they are and that sale price, its good. Realtek even appears to have time alignment in it, but I didn't bother to set it maybe later. I only have speakers on here for games and occasional youtube video/music. These are analog, there is also an optical output for expensive speakers. Asus It says it has 8 channels. This is why people don't buy sound cards anymore. It is likely that if you record it would be much more important than for playing sound. Recording can pick up noise much easier. On an old PC I had 4 speakers and sub on a SB card and it worked great in many games, I do play old games but not sure this is going to run them the same way.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for sharing. Thanks to you and others here now I know that the chipsets I listed are very similar and there is nothing to worry about.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

If this is going to influence your choice on a motherboard, then you need to take a step back, as all modern audio chipsets on motherboards are competent enough to power most headphones and sound decent

there are so many better things to worry about with motherboard options. i would consider getting a sound card or external DAC if you're concered about crappy audio

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Down side? It's all realtek.

Good news is... unless you're on an ITX board, you should definitely have the ability to upgrade the sound hardware. Though I would hope that you'd have some really high quality speakers and/or headphones to justify it. And even on the headphones from, if it's on USB, it won't use a sound card or onboard audio anyway.

For my use case, I prefer internal sound cards because the software for most all external such cards just don't meet what I'm looking for it to handle. But in every scenario, Realtek is inadequate, unless you're just that tone-deaf or using really crap hardware. GPU and CPU balancing is a thing. So is audio chip and your output medium of choice.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

I've had an ASUS MOBO w/ 1220A Crystal Sound 3 for a year, I still can't tell what "Crystal Sound 3" brings to the table. It has a nice EQ and 3 amplification levels. I use powered speakers, so the lowest amp level is sufficient for my needs, and everything sounds really good b/c the speakers are good. If your MOBO audio ends up not being great, you can always buy a USB Audio Interface.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

That's seems like a good advice. Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube