add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5-6500 vs i5 9400

slashbrackets

2 months ago

Which is better?

I will not get a GPU, i'll be using the integrated graphics. Besides that, the 9400 is cheaper but why?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

6-cores versus 4-cores with the same graphics on both pretty much.

The 6-cored 9400 wins easily.

9400 is on a different platform though then the old 6500.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes the i5-9400 is newer, better and has the faster IGP as well.

Those older CPUs are only a viable option, if you have an older build and don't wanna change the board.

And perhaps that's why the high price.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Besides that, the 9400 is cheaper but why?

I take it this is where things get a little mystifying and has you a little puzzled.

Older GEN CPUs (esp. intel) tend to maintain their MSRP price banding opposed to dropping in value when newer, better optimised and faster generational CPUs enter the market. The drop in price for older tech would be considered the natural course of action but the market dynamic or pre-engineered entrapment sees very little shift in price or value. Even the used market is influenced in the same manner which is a shame. Quite repulsively, some of these older CPU offerings also throw in an added premium as if it's ageing wine with taxable maturity - shame x2.

The 9400 is vastly better - a current generational CPU securing nippier single threaded performance (20-25%) and vastly superior multi-core performance (70-80%+)

Depending on cost/requirement, you might prefer the comparable Ryzen 2600X (multi-thread enabled) or if there is wiggle room in the budget the superior performing Ryzen 3600.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I just had some experience with the i5-6500. I definitely wouldn't buy it right now over the 9400 or most new chips.

I was able to get mine bundled with a mobo and ram for $120 total.

With that said if you are trying to go with an older gen chip don't pay those exorbitant prices. They are people that haven't quite realized Intel has competition now and their chips are worth about 1/4 of what they are asking.

You can find the chips cheap though so don't give up if that is what you want. I was able to get a i7-6700 with an entire system for $200. Dell is even running discounts now this month for refurbished systems with i7-6700's for $250 for the entire system, with mouse, keyboard and warranty to boot. So, you can pay a reasonable price for those chips.

On ebay those people want $250 just for the chip alone lol.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube