add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Work overtime encouragement

Tetsuclaw
  • 5 months ago

So the christmas rush is upon us for those of us working in customer service and the bosses are offering all the overtime you can take and you need the money.....badly lol. What I want to discuss is how you guys keep the drive to work massive overtime for weeks and limit burnout or even to have the drive to keep at it.

Reason I am discussing this is because I need to save up for a upgrade to my transportation and this will help me achieve my goal in as little as a month and a half. So far I am keeping not extremely unhealthy snacks at my desk and a kettle+loose leaf tea for a drink. Basically avoiding sugar to prevent that crash and avoiding too much caffeine to screw up my sleep. I am sure there are others out there also needing to work their butt off to afford things too this time of the year. For people who do this regularly what do you do to prevent burnout and keep motivated on 12 hour long back to back shifts? Basically what I am going to be working for the foreseeable future.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont work in the service industry, but i can certainly relate to overtime, oh boy that was soooo fun.

Longs story short i worked anywhere from 8 hours to 20 hours a day every day of the week for 8 months, we had holidays and i got sick alot during that time ( gee i wonder why ) but it was brutal.

Since not being tired was not an option for me alot of the time especially when the 8 hours a day kept rising steadily i decided never to get into energy drinks. They are a scam and taste like a burning hard drive ( dont ask ) . I also never drank coffee so avoid the crash, i did that in the beginning and the days would last forever and i had daily migraines. Some jokers thought it be a great idea to take "certain" hardcore drugs that are known to get you hyperactive, seeing them literally run in circles made an otherwise boring night shift mildly not boring, until they put anyone in danger of getting hurt. Obviously dont try any hardcore drugs but i have a feeling very few people on PCPP do so anyways.

Next i get up about 2 - 3 hours before a shift and eat breakfast or whatever was in my fridge that wouldn't hurt my stomach. Do warmups usually 15 - 30 mins, take a short jog and try to accomplish as many of my daily tasks as possible so i dont have to deal with them. I found this not only wakes me up but also keeps me from thinking about only food the first part of the shift and for some reason getting up at odd hours of the day or night never really bothered me, especially if it was consistent.

Now when it comes to burn out, i just constantly thought about what i could do with the money i was making and putting it towards life goals. The work i was doing also involved alot of manual labor and not alot of time to think.

Also what are back to back shifts?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Longs story short i worked anywhere from 8 hours to 20 hours a day every day of the week for 8 months, we had holidays and i got sick alot during that time ( gee i wonder why ) but it was brutal.

Well I am trying to avoid that burn out so I don't lose out on pay.

i decided never to get into energy drinks. They are a scam and taste like a burning hard drive ( dont ask )

Many years ago I did use energy drinks and they completely messed up my sleep schedule. Tired during the day and can't sleep at night making me more and more dependant on them. I haven't touched one in over 10 years. I find coffee does that to me too but not to the same effect and the teas I trink have 1/5th of the caffeine as coffee does so it is more of the right amount. Especially since I never put sugar in it.

Do warmups usually 15 - 30 mins, take a short jog

My morning workout is riding a bike to work, yes even in the winter even if we get dumped a couple feet of snow. In southern Ontario Canada lake effect snow is nothing new here.

Also what are back to back shifts?

12 hours each monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday, and sat. repeat.

i just constantly thought about what i could do with the money i was making

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying a cheap department store fat bike for my main transportation and it has lasted 2 years but after maintaining the bike (full disassembly and rebuild) it is clear it was not made with my kind of use. It has the build quality for someone using it as a casual weekend ride bike or a garage decoration not for 20+ miles a day minimum every single day riding. The wheel hubs are wearing to the point I got another couple of months before they need to be replaced and they alone cost way more than the bike itself. I am saving up for a much higher quality fat bike that can withstand my kind of usage for long term use. I am also factoring costs of much stronger locks as well and I will NOT skimp on that. I basically need to work enough overtime for an extra 2 grand in a months worth of time which is why I picked such stupid hours.

On a side note my boss did something to help encourage me on my overtime this morning before I got into work. She printed out a picture of the bike I was looking at with a message of encouragement and pinned it to my cubicle wall! I only really have room for 1 bike and it has to handle all weather as it is my main method of transportation. Fat bikes are better able on handling deeper snow that mountain bikes would get stuck in and without shocks can also deal with all the mass of potholes we have, no risk of a pinch flat. Believe it or not a bike is still FAR better than public transportation in my city for 2 reasons, it is actually much faster and I hate standing still outside waiting for a bus that comes once every 30 minutes or 60 minutes past 9pm or weekends.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What city if you don't mind me asking. I live pretty close by to Toronto. However luckily I only have to commute to school in the morning which is a 15 minute walk max.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I am trying to avoid that burn out so I don't lose out on pay.

I get it.

Many years ago I did use energy drinks and they completely messed up my sleep schedule. Tired during the day and can't sleep at night making me more and more dependant on them. I haven't touched one in over 10 years. I find coffee does that to me too but not to the same effect and the teas I trink have 1/5th of the caffeine as coffee does so it is more of the right amount. Especially since I never put sugar in it.

Yep your body is already thanking you for not touching one of those cans of sugar also known as "energy drinks".

My morning workout is riding a bike to work, yes even in the winter even if we get dumped a couple feet of snow. In southern Ontario Canada lake effect snow is nothing new here.

Snow really does suck if you have to actually deal with it on a regular basis.

12 hours each monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday, and sat. repeat.

That isn't too bad, you'd probably make alot more money and save up for a new ride!

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying a cheap department store fat bike for my main transportation and it has lasted 2 years but after maintaining the bike (full disassembly and rebuild) it is clear it was not made with my kind of use. It has the build quality for someone using it as a casual weekend ride bike or a garage decoration not for 20+ miles a day minimum every single day riding. The wheel hubs are wearing to the point I got another couple of months before they need to be replaced and they alone cost way more than the bike itself. I am saving up for a much higher quality fat bike that can withstand my kind of usage for long term use. I am also factoring costs of much stronger locks as well and I will NOT skimp on that. I basically need to work enough overtime for an extra 2 grand in a months worth of time which is why I picked such stupid hours.

Hey, working hard to deck out your bike, cant rag on that, just wondering if you're gonna use Cycling Builder dot com to build a such a bike or are you gonna buy one from a name brand bike manufacturer?

On a side note my boss did something to help encourage me on my overtime this morning before I got into work. She printed out a picture of the bike I was looking at with a message of encouragement and pinned it to my cubicle wall!

Thats nice of you're boss!

Believe it or not a bike is still FAR better than public transportation in my city for 2 reasons, it is actually much faster and I hate standing still outside waiting for a bus that comes once every 30 minutes or 60 minutes past 9pm or weekends.

I also despise public transport in all the cities i have been in.

Seems like you're going to do well, just keep the chin up and look foward to a future a nice bike you can take anywhere you want in any weather Southern Ontario has to throw at you.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, working hard to deck out your bike, cant rag on that, just wondering if you're gonna use Cycling Builder dot com to build a such a bike or are you gonna buy one from a name brand bike manufacturer?

I am saving up for a nice Norco Bigfoot bike. Sealed bearings, 11 speed single back derailleur, hydraulic brakes, the works. Gotta have fat tires during or after a snow storm. The roads I end up taking often take days after a good storm before they even get cleared. Going for rigid since I hate doing maintenance on shocks and there is nothing I am even doing on the bike that even warrants shocks. I am buying it prebuilt at a local bike shop because it would cost double do buy everything separate and build it myself. Though since I have access to all the bike tools if I can get one where the shop hasn't assembled yet and hopefully get a labour discount and build it myself I totally would.

Link of the bike I am eyeing (bit cheaper at local bike shop) : https://www.norco.com/bikes/2019/mountain/fat-bike/bigfoot-aluminum/bigfoot-1/

What city if you don't mind me asking. I live pretty close by to Toronto. However luckily I only have to commute to school in the morning which is a 15 minute walk max.

@Ice44, I would be about 2 hours south west from you down the 401 highway.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

My drive comes from two simple formulas:

No work = no money = no food
More work = more money = I can buy **** aside from only food.

I'm hungry daily so I'm re-motivated daily.

Okay, for real? Motivation comes from within. But, it comes from a need or a strong want. Find your need/want and you'll find your motivation.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube