add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Does the 3950x absolutely need water cooling in a Meshify C?

Chziime
  • 5 months ago

I have a Meshify C with a single HDD installed, so I'm thinking it might be very difficult to install a 360 or even 280mm AIO as recommended by AMD for the 3950x.

Can I just use powerful air cooling, or should I rebuild my entire PC with a new case in order to fit the AIO?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

No it does not. No CPU absolutely needs water cooling.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes i think you can, if you use a high performance air cooler let's say like the *Macho and you don't OC that CPU.

(*) https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/4TCrxr,jr6qqs/

Those are the temps with an Corsair H100X 240mm AIO. (running at 2435 RPM, so full throttle)

https://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Technical-temps.jpg

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

No CPU absolutely requires liquid cooling. Unless you plan to Overclock, I'm sure you'll be just fine with a beefy heatsink. I'd take a look at something like a Dark Rock Pro 4 or an NH-D15.

However, even with an HDD installed I'm certain you can mount a 280MM Rad on the front, even in the Meshify Mini.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Dark Rock Pro 4, thats all i have to say

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I was hoping to use PBO, which is a sort of automatic overclocking.

I'm pretty sure a 280mm AIO would still overperform any sort of air cooling for the 3950x, though, since the 3950x potentially dispenses heat differently than other high-end CPUs.

Theoretically... how would I mount a 280mm AIO to the front of the Meshify C? I would have to remove the fan, at least, yeah? I can't find any tutorials for this...

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, I did some research, and I'll just stick with the original plan and get a Noctua.

Which one, though? Is the "Noctua NH-D15 with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans" the best of the Noctue?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Would it be more effective than the new NH-U12A, for example?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes the D15 is the best of them.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 3950x under d15 chromax. Regarding the stock performance on single and multi threaded apps PBO or auto OC does not make sensible difference in workflow you do not need it for this CPU. Read my comment on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dwnux2/noctua_d15_enough_for_3950x/fbjquju?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

you will be perfectly fine in meshify c with d15, d15s or u12a

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube