add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I upgrade from 3400g to 3600 ?

Worlrl
  • 5 months ago

Hello. I bought a new computer 6 months ago, I used the 3400g because I wanted to go budget since I knew I want only esport titles but then my needs changed and I noticed I am drifting to more demanding games.

I bought rx570 and a 1440p screen which I found is another mistake I made.

I thought maybe if I’ll upgrade to 3600 the performance will be a bit better for 1440p gaming since upgrading the gpu is much more expansive.

What would be the right choice? Should I upgrade the cpu or maybe wait another year?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 5 points

You need more GPU a lot more than you need more CPU. Quite honestly, your least expensive way forward in the near term is to buy a 1080p second monitor and use 1080p for the more demanding games. Or, save up for a significant GPU upgrade; you'll want something like a 2060 Super or 5700 XT to really do justice to a 1440p screen. (1660 Super if you're willing to turn down details.)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I 100% agree. A CPU upgrade isnt going to get you any added FPS unless its a very specific CPU intensive game. Best gains is a 2700X (Current deal is amazing) and a 2060 Super to be honest for 1440p gaming.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

You need more GPU a lot more than you need more CPU at 1440p and above.

Yes i agree too.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait and save up for an upgrade; you will likely want to upgrade your GPU further so you can crank up settings and resolution. Your CPU is probably not the biggest issue right now, especially if we are talking titles like Metro Exodus on high settings at 1440p.

In the meantime experiment with turning down settings and/or render scaling to increase performance in the more demanding titles.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

rather than a new cpu, id recommend a 2060 super GPU

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube