add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help me chose AMD Processor

search4f
  • 3 months ago

I'm very confused by the ryzen 7 and 5. I understand the 7 is older but has more cores? I can buy a 7 2700x or a 5 3400g for similar money. what is more important in the 5 or 7 the clock speed or cores ? thanks

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your budget, and what is your purpose?

There's a few things to note here.

• The "G" series have integrated graphics, but are a process behind on the CPU side. So the 3400G uses Zen+, not Zen 2 for its CPU.

• The distinctions like "Ryzen 7" are just branding. 7s are 8 core parts, while 5s have fluctuated from 4 core parts to 6 cores, including some models with integrated graphics. Since multiple generations are on the market, it's important to look at the model number.

• The 2700x is a fantastic deal. It's a generation old but pricing has plummeted. If you are going to use a discrete GPU, then the 2700x is leagues ahead of the 3400G.

• Clock speed isn't an accurate way to compare CPUs unless IPC is the same. In this case, the 3400G and 2700x should have similar IPC due to being Zen+ parts, although differences in cache and the fun differences in the 3400G's design due to the integrated graphics make it a bit more imprecise.

• For a new build, the question should be more about what you are planning to do with it and what your budget is. The 3600 for example is a bit better for exclusively gaming, but costs more than the 2700x and comes with a worse cooler. If you are on an very tight budget and don't have a discrete card, then you need a G series processor as most of the Ryzen lineup does not have integrated graphics.

Hopefully that clears a few things up for you.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If your going to use a video card the 2700x or the 2600x might let you buy a better card.

If no video card then the 3400 or 2400.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I can buy a 7 2700x or a 5 3400g for similar money.

With the above in mind your choice is pretty clear.

The 2700X.

There isn't a single task that the 3400G excels over an 2700X.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube