add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RYZEN 5 2600x OR RYZEN 7 2700?

JoeShmoePinero
  • 5 months ago

Is a RYZEN 5 2600x better for gaming and recording or a RYZEN 7 2700?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 5 points

2600X has an edge in pure gaming, as it holds up higher clock speeds under more diverse workloads.

2700 has an edge in gaming+streaming/recording when using the X264 software encoder. If you're using a hardware encoder for recording (which is a more realistic option when recording instead of streaming), then you don't need the additional cores, and the 2600X will perform slightly better.

Despite the fact that the 2600X offers slightly better gaming performance, I think most people would advise just going for the 2700 as it offers more headroom for workload flexibility.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I think most people would advise just going for the 2700

The one caveat here being if that $25 could be spent elsewhere, like getting an 8GB RX580 vs a 4GB 570, or getting a Tomahawk vs an Asrock Pro4 or something.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

On the other hand, if the budget for a build is so "tight" that the builder can't comfortably select the balance of performance/value/quality that they want for each component, then one could argue that the $25 shouldn't be spent on the build at all.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Despite the fact that the 2600X offers slightly better gaming performance, I think most people would advise just going for the 2700 as it offers more headroom for workload flexibility.

If the OP is on a tight budget and doesn't care about that flexibility, there are other options for the $25 that might make more sense for their specific use case. That's all I meant.

I strongly disagree with tight budget=shouldn't buy logic.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

So we're clear, my "logic" is not: "tight budget=shouldn't buy."

That's putting words in my mouth.

I'm not saying don't buy, I'm saying don't spend the $25 "extra" anywhere in the build if money is tight. It's not necessary. A 2600 + 570 makes a great build for dirt cheap. The extra $$$ doesn't have to be spent on the build at ALL to get a great computer.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

$25 shouldn't be spent on the build at all.

Misread that, my apologies.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Gaming and recording with the extra workload being handled by the CPU the 2700 would be better.

Strictly looking at gaming performance the 2600X has a slight advantage.

It would also have a similar slight advantage if you were using the graphics card to handle recording.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you considered the 2700X?.....

Essentially, only $10 more over the 2700 (if you're based in regions which reflect these prices, +UK +US), matches the single threaded performance of a 2600X (actually the 2700X is an incy wincy bit faster) and beats the 2700 with a 10-15% lead across the board. If that's not enticing enough, the 2700X drops in a beefier liquid heat chamber stock cooler + RGB (if you're a fan).

At this rate, even if it's a little more than $10, the 2700X presents excellent value for 2 additional cores over the 2600X and impressively nippier performance over the 2700.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I would consider the Ryzen 7 2700x. It has a price range right next to the Ryzen 7 2700, if not a lower price range. It upholds better quality than the Ryzen 5 would. When I started my build I went for a Ryzen 5 3600, but I switched to the Ryzen 7 as it is newer and works better. To conclude: I suggest the Ryzen 7 2700x, or at least compare to the other CPUs. Good luck on your PC!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I have no clue if your gonna see this reply but, why not try. So I bought a RYZEN 7 2700x (thanks for the reccomendation) for cousins birthday but the problem is his birthday isn't here for a couple of months, do you think anything will go wrong with the 2700x if I keep it hidden somewhere? Like is the thermal paste gonna dry up?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

You can store it in its retail packaging for at least a few years. The thermal paste is protected by a bit of plastic film. If the film has been removed, you might have an issue; but applying new paste if necessary is very simple.

The 2700X is one of the higher power draw Ryzen CPU's; I'd avoid the low end B450 motherboards, the ones with no heat-sinking at all on the VRM modules.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there one you would recommend? Or should I just buy a expensive one.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

At least a Gaming Plus or Tomahawk, they are pretty good for VRMs if not overclocked.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed. The Asrock B450 Pro4 is OK as well, although the Tomahawk is better.

The MSI B450 Pro Carbon is also very good, possibly the best of the B450's for a 2700X, but not the best value as it's usually pricey.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey there! You are very much welcome for the recommendation. Happy early birthday to your cousin as well! I’m not really sure if the thermal paste will dry up. Sorry I cannot be much help there. I do not believe anything would happen? But I can’t say so for sure, very sorry.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

In my opinion I would assume that the CPU will be fine. Because they do sit in a warehouse for a long period of time after production. Therefore leading to me to believe it would be alright.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I love my 2700x and all i do is game

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube